Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Breakwater on Monday. This was my 16th dive and the first time I've been approached by Fred. I didn't dive with him, but now I feel like I've finally been initiated as a real Monterey SCUBA diver!

Lori

Scubaroo:
Oh man - I know the guy you're talking about. He basically hit on me in the carpark at Breakwater one day, even though I was with another female buddy at the time, and we were in the middle of getting out of our gear at the back of the car - for all anyone knew it could have been a wife or girlfriend, but he just walks up and starts trying to chat me up. He's one CREEPY dude.

The guy needs to move about 2 hours north.
I hope not, that puts him closer to me.....
but I'll keep it in mind when i dive in monteray

I dove this weekend and saw Fred. He asked me for the second time since I have been diving to buddy up with him (he may have been asking my husband also but he didn't direct his conversation to him or really even look at him except a glance). I had my husband right there with me and he was talking only to me, he kept staring! Someone then came over and explained his deal (I had already saw a brief warning on the internet); I ended up talking to the spouse of the person whose air had been turned off. It's apparently no urban legend, as the person is a credible source IMO.

I have made up my mind to give Fred an earful if he ever approaches me again. I will tell that psycho that people are on to him and his tricks and that he's lucky he hasn't had the snot beat out of him.

Thanks Fuzz and welcome to scubaboard.

And Welcome to Monterey diving.... Hey David, Jim next time we go to the PI let's get some "Dive buddy" cards made up :)

dlndavid:
Thanks Fuzz and welcome to scubaboard.

David! How much did you pay Fuzz to revive *this* dead post? Everybody here on SB knows how you like to go through the archives...:wink:

Fuzz, you should feel specially blessed for being asked by Fred to be a Buddy...I can still remember reading this thread two weeks before I went up to Monterey last summer. When my buddies saw him coming they were ROFL as they told me about him. I was SOOO glad I had buddies, already!:sappy:

My Fiance and I dove at breakwater on Monday Aug 21st at 11:45am and sure enough he pulled up right after we arrived.

The crazy thing was the parking lot was EMPTY and he parked in the spot right next to ours.

As he walked up to us he started to talk and I loudly said NOT intrested.

he quickly turned around and sat back in his truck..

Paul

Back
Top Bottom