WARNING: Ambulance vultures of the Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ain'tDeadYet

Registered
Reaction score
i've posted this on lonely planet's site, and now here because many of us dive the reef off the yucatan:

if you're travelling in the riviera maya, DON'T get into an ambulance unless you know where they're taking you. there are some viciously opportunistic medical personnel out there.

while in the yucatan a week ago, we had and auto accident on highway 307 between akumal and tulum. an ambulance showed up only minutes later, scooped up my two 20ish kids - neither of whom, thankfully, was seriously injured - and drove off toward cancun. the "EMTs" really wanted me to get in the ambulance too, but i wasn't hurt and had been the driver of the rental car, so i stayed to deal with the police and the insurance company.

when i asked the ambulance driver how i would find my kids later, he handed me a card that gave the phone and name of a medical facility called HOSPITEN.

a couple hours of bilingual horse***** later, i called Hospiten and found out that the bill for my two kids now stood at a whopping eight THOUSAND dollars, just for x-rays and an office visit!!

i was assured that the kids were fine and i could pick them up ant time - any time i was ready to put $8K on my credit card.

i won't give the identifiying details, but i managed to spring my kids without paying the usurious fee. it wasn't easy, and not even strictly legal. certainly not something i'd want to do again.

so be warned - unless you are very, very injured, take a taxi to the nearest hospital. and if you do get into an ambulance, make sure you are going to the closest hospital, not the most rapaciously expensive emergency care facility in the country.

may god bless you that you never need to remember this advice,
ADY

WOW- thanks for the info. Glad you got the kids out okay and without paying the outrageous bill. What if you didn't have the money? Do they keep the kids until you can pay and add charges on until then?

I am very surprised to hear this about Hospiten. Living in the area we use Hospiten as our medical provider and feel that the rates they charge us for services are exceptionally reasonable. My wife recently had to go in for an ultrasound - no she isn't pregnant - and the total cost for the service and report was 40.00 usd. The receptionist when we have gone to Hospiten have always spoke English and the few doctors that we have dealt with have all been English speakers as well.

I am not disputing your story at all and I am sad that this has happened to you.

By the way how much was the ambulance portion of the bill?

Dennis

Considering the cost of the ultrasound....I am wondering if it was 8 thousand pesco instead of 8 thousand dollars? Chamber fees arent even that bad. And for a simple x-ray?

Couple of things. People are transported to the nearest APROPRATE medical facility, not nessarly the closest. Sounds like the closest would have been the best choice in this case but I can't tell for sure with the scant detail given.
Second, this is why travel insurance is a good idea. Let the insurance company deal with the crooks.
Glad it all worked out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom