Question Warmest 5 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to find a 5 mm shorty to replace an old Mares. Judging by wetsuits I have handled, some are lighter in weight than others at the same neoprene thickness. I have an idea that some 5 mm might be warmer than others.
And yes, I know that comfort and good fit can give you at least 1 degree extra. Years ago I got warmer by wearing a lighter suit, big lesson there.
Can anyone comment on warmest 5 mm suits?

And yes, I know that comfort and good fit can give you at least 1 degree extra

Hey @pelan-pelan,

Warmth is much less about brand or material than it is fit. I've read lots of SB posts about wetsuits, and people really seem to advocate brand X vs. brand Y, but bottom line if the suit doesn't fit then water will flush in and you'll get cold faster because your body will lose heat every time it has to warm the water that flushes in.

We're happy to answer any questions.

Kind regards,
Derek & JMJ

Thank you for the responses. A re-think is required and that is now under way.

As for comments about fit - I cannot agree more. Until I found my "outfit" Years ago I tried various and got surprisingly cold. A wise diver commented that discomfort was at least 1 degree. I left the suits I was trying and got into the water with my comfy old 2mm Dahleks which shouldn't have been warm enough. It wasn't warm enough but I was a hec of a lot warmer than I had been with previous 5 mm option.

Fit is at the top of the list in the re-think.

I LOVE my Seac Komodo. I usually dive dry, but I use a wetsuit for shore diving. I have used a number of them, this is the best one hands down. Easy to don and doff, and I dive it in April in water as cold as 50 degrees F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom