Warmer - Pinnacle Merino Evolution or Weezle Extreme+?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information as to which suit is warmer - the Pinnacle Merino Evolution or the Weezle Extreme+?

Any other information about which one of these requires you to add less weight and any other pro's/cons would be great!

I started using the Pinnacle 2 seasons ago. First time was during my Ice Certification. 38 degree water temps. 2 dives of 30 and 35 minutes. I only came up because my buddy was starting to get cold and my hands started to feel it. I did have to add 4lbs I think over my old OS Systems undies. The last time I used it was in October for checkouts and did two dives nearly an hour each and was toasty warm. Weighting was about the same with a new Drysuit. Sold the OS and got a HOG Predator. It fits a little better as the OS seemed to shrink around the middle on me- go figure.

The Pinnacle looks like it has bulk but I would classify it more as loft. It;s much warmer than my old undergarments and fits better. I really like the ankle and wrist cuffs. Very generous length and better than the ribbed material on some that seems to stretch out after time. Don't think these will.

No experience with the Weezle.

Chipping in late, as I just did my first dive in the Pinnacle Merino Evolution. In ~50F water (maybe a couple degrees colder at depth), I became cold on a 40 minute dive. I did sweat quite a bit in the suit before getting in the water, so I will give the suit another go on another day. But for the second dive on that day, I switched back to my DUI 400g Thinsulate Ultra.

My DUI 400g suit is thicker than the Merino Evolution. In fact, I was a bit surprised at how much less bulk/loft the Merino Evo had as compared to my DUI 400g suit. The specs on the Merino Evolution are 100g of Thinsulate, 250g of fleece (in the middle), and an inner lining of blue merino wool, which they claim is 300g but seems mighty thin.

The Pinnacle suit fits me better than the DUI suit. I will give it another go and try not to sweat much before entering the water.

I started using the Pinnacle 2 seasons ago. First time was during my Ice Certification. 38 degree water temps. 2 dives of 30 and 35 minutes. I only came up because my buddy was starting to get cold and my hands started to feel it. I did have to add 4lbs I think over my old OS Systems undies. The last time I used it was in October for checkouts and did two dives nearly an hour each and was toasty warm. Weighting was about the same with a new Drysuit. Sold the OS and got a HOG Predator. It fits a little better as the OS seemed to shrink around the middle on me- go figure.

The Pinnacle looks like it has bulk but I would classify it more as loft. It;s much warmer than my old undergarments and fits better. I really like the ankle and wrist cuffs. Very generous length and better than the ribbed material on some that seems to stretch out after time. Don't think these will.

No experience with the Weezle.

I have a Merino Evolution. The biggest problem I have is the layers separating & bunching up around the ankles & wrists. This causes bad mobility issues for me. Because of that, I do not wear it very often. Of course I'm 5'6" & nearly 200#, so I have to wear a men's XL which means I have waaaaay more length than I need, & that may be part of the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom