Warm Water Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iangood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver in the Puget Sound area and have only done cold water dives. How different does it feel diving in warm water? Do you notice changes in your air consumption from not having to expend as much energy keeping warm? I use a 7mm farmer john wetsuit and at the end of dive 2 I there is little better than a heated shower/drink.

Apologies if this has been asked recently, I poked around using the search function but didn’t see anything.

My air consumption was almost double in cold water during cert classes and skills Compared to warm water. Shorts, rash guard and visibility further than you can see. Warm water is good.

I am a new diver in the Puget Sound area and have only done cold water dives. How different does it feel diving in warm water? Do you notice changes in your air consumption from not having to expend as much energy keeping warm? I use a 7mm farmer john wetsuit and at the end of dive 2 I there is little better than a heated shower/drink.

Apologies if this has been asked recently, I poked around using the search function but didn’t see anything.
It feels fantastic to me!!!

I’ve done training dives in a cold water quarry and hated the 7 mm wet suit ( felt like the Michelin Man), tons of extra weights and the the hood and gloves.

I MUCH prefer a 3mm shorty or full wetsuit in clear, warm water with colorful reefs and tons of life! The only downside is that, living in NJ, I have to travel to dive - but that is fine with me!

How big of a water-temperature difference are you looking at? Puget Sound appears to be in Washington. It's temperature is cold according to my standards, but I guess could be warmer than wherever you dive.

If you aren't properly prepared for cold temperatures, you will use more air than in warm temperatures. One trick is you can layer wetsuits to be even warmer. For example, neoprene hooded-vest and shorts, under a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit. Thicker wetsuits or multiple layers tend to restrict movement, but significantly reduce how miserable you are.

I normally dive warm (Texas) waters, but the few times I'm unprepared for whatever temperature I'm diving in, my air consumption is noticeably increased. That increase can be very significant if I'm very cold and shivering.

Before doing that first warm water dive, have somebody film a video of you in Puget Sound.

Now go sell all your rubber suits. You’ll still have the video to cherish, or maybe as a reminder and warning.

W.W.P.F. <*}}})))))><

Put second stage in your mouth, suck, fall off boat. Repeat.

Come to the dark side. We have warm water pretty fish.

Folks who dive local cold water likely keep their skills much fresher than the folks who dive warm water once or two a year.

If you’re passionate about your diving, you want to dive a lot. That’s what local diving is about. Not a trip once or twice a year.

I dive local cold(er) fresh water in the Midwest year round. From April to October, I dive every week. Then it’s less frequent, but at least once a month. My idea of warm water is above the thermocline at a local lake or quarry - it was 65 yesterday at a lake up in WI down to 20ft. Or in a FL cave where it might be 70-72.

I dive dry. But in the warmer water, thinner undies with my drysuit make it getting on much easier.

I definitely use less air in warm water (my AI computer lets me track this)

Switching drysuit and Undergarments to a 3mm, losing the hood and gloves and around 18 lbs of lead along with lighter smaller fins just makes ever thing easier.

Plus I don't tend to swim around as much - as on average I don't have to cover a much ground to see interesting things - though the really excellent sites on Northern Vancouver island can hold their own against any tropical site.

Folks who dive local cold water likely keep their skills much fresher than the folks who dive warm water once or two a year.

If you’re passionate about your diving, you want to dive a lot. That’s what local diving is about. Not a trip once or twice a year..
Lol… many warm water divers are quite passionate about their diving - we just dislike cold water diving and the extra hassles and discomfort that come with it!

I’m personally doing 4 warm water trips this year - Aruba (done), Fiji (2.5 week trip), Truk Lagoon (8 day Live-aboard) and Raja Ampat (11 day Live-aboard) - Is that enough to be passionate and keep my skills?

The average American diver isn’t going to have that much time off or be able to afford those kind of trips. FL, the Caribbean, or MX is more their budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom