Wanting to Change some gear...looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weezieharris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!
I'm contemplating making a few gear changes and was looking for any feedback good or bad about the items I am considering. Will I gain anything by spending the money and making the change? I am just a recreational diver....local lakes year round and vacations in the Caribbean once or twice a year. I love to dive but have no desire to transition into anything technical so that is doesn't have to be a consideration.

First up is my computer...currently I dive a Suunto Cobra 3. I am considering a change to the Atomic Cobalt 2. The Cobra 3 is great but I have played (but not dove) with the Atomic and love the colored screen and simple interface. My original thought was to buy a wrist mount AI and keep the Cobra as my back-up but once I started reading reviews and checked out the Cobalt, I may be willing to stick with a console only for the time being.

Second is my regulator. I currently have an Aqualung Mikron which I like but find the breathing to be a little less comfortable if I am inverted. As a replacement, I am considering the Atomic Z3. I know it is their entry level regulator but my understanding is that all of their regs will breath basically the same. The main driver behind the higher prices are "luxury" features or cosmetic upgrades.

The biggest driver behind both of these changes is that I no longer have an Aqualung dealer nearby that I will use for service and am not comfortable servicing my own gear. Plus, I have a bit of a gear buying addiction. My husband will probably stage an intervention if I make these purchases
icon_redface.gif

As a side note, there is another shop here which is generally where I get my fills, make small purchases etc that sales Oceanic computers and Oceanic & Hollis regs. I just don't have any experience with either of these brands.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You will get a hundred opinions here so I will give you mine. I am very happy with my atomic b2 regulator. I really like the comfort swivel it has. It breathes as nice as my scuba pro regs. For the computer I can only say I have a dive buddy that bought the cobalt new last October and has sent it 2 times for not working. Check out the icon as well.

There is nothing wrong with the equipment you have or the items you are considering. Wetter breathing is common when being inverted, I am not sure that the Atomic will be any different.

Just went through the same challenge you are experiencing. My choice was simpler since I am changing out 1999 TUSA Imprex gear. Although has served me well, anything is an improvement. After much research went with Atomic B2 regulator and Cobalt 2 dive computer. Want clear straight forward performance with excellent product support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just spent a week in Bonaire diving my new Cobalt 2 and couldn't be happier with it. Clear, easy to see, and accurate except I am not to sure it was accurately recording water temps. Other than that I loved it. I will say that I am buying a brass and glass SPG to put on a 12" or so hose off my other HP port as a back up in case the computer ever does go down. I have a watch with a depth gauge that I was already using as a back up bottom timer.

Our dive shop bought the Cobalt computers to use on student/rental regulators. They have been plagued with problems. Watching what they have gone through, I could not recommend this computer. Buying a wrist computer, however, is something I think makes life easier. You can pick up computers used, and they are often good buys.

Ok, I am here now and my answer will end this topic:
Yes, Absolutely you should buy that.
No, Absolutely not.
Now seriously, you will get those in favor and those against what ever type of equipment you discuss. So now on to your question.
...First up is my computer...currently I dive a Suunto Cobra 3. ....
You have a good computer. No real reason to change. You have already heard reviews of your other choice and have your answer there. Buying at this point is a matter of your addiction not need. As for a Wrist computer Vs Console - Keep your eyes open while diving popular dive sites and you may just find a wrist mounted computer. Straps break, neoprene compresses and stuff happens. I have been on at least 5 dives where someone in our group found a wrist mounted dive computer, still running! Dive time 30hours.

Second is my regulator. I currently have an Aqualung Mikron which I like but find the breathing to be a little less comfortable if I am inverted.
Most will breathe wet when inverted. Some do not. Look for Breathes well in any position. Aqualung Legend breaths well inverted.
...I know it is their entry level regulator but my understanding is that all of their regs will breath basically the same. The main driver behind the higher prices are "luxury" features or cosmetic upgrades.
Ummmm, not exactly accurate. All regulators do not breathe the same. There are believe it or not different types of regulators for different uses.

Different types of regulators:
Warm Water Vs Cold Water regulators. Cold water regulators are needed for water colder than about 52F. Why? Open the valve on your tank and let a good loud stream of air out. Close the valve and note the moisture condensed on the valve and how cold the valve is. Air gets cold when it expands coming out of the tank (this is how your refrigerator works). Take cold air coming out of the tank, add water in the 30-50F range, a buddy sucking air on your Octo, etc and you just might get a first stage that freezes. Dive 40F water, hit your BCD inflator as you inhale and you may get a free flowing regulator because it froze up. Back on top, nothing wrong with it, until you do it again. It does happen. And yes you can dive a cold water regulator in warm water.

High Performance Regulators - As you dive deeper you use more air with every breath. 33 Feet you use 2X as much as on the surface. 132 Feet and you are sucking down 5X as much as at the surface and so it goes the deeper you go. A high performance regulator which will breather much easier at deeper depths than a regular non-high performance regulator. High Performance regulators are often also Cold Water regulators because it tends to get cold at deeper depths. They do cost more, but they do deliver more. Now, my Mares Regulator that I bought because it was cheapest breaths great. I think it breaths better than my new Aqualung Legend Cold Water regulator at shallow depths. The Mares does make you gargle if inverted.

The biggest driver behind both of these changes is that I no longer have an Aqualung dealer nearby
Move. Or go to Aqualung and find a qualified service tech. They have mail service that will get your gear to and from a service shop.
I have a bit of a gear buying addiction.
Now we get down to it. Your local dive shop sends you cards at all special occasions and chocolates too I bet. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Our dive shop bought the Cobalt computers to use on student/rental regulators. They have been plagued with problems. Watching what they have gone through, I could not recommend this computer. Buying a wrist computer, however, is something I think makes life easier. You can pick up computers used, and they are often good buys.

TSandM - THANK YOU for your help. I've gotten some good feedback on the Cobalt but a lot of negative as well. It is enough to make me steer away from that particular computer. Plus, I got to dive with a wrist mount this weekend and loved it. It is so convenient to have everything right in front of you. On the computer, I will follow my original plan and go with the AI wrist mount. Now if I can just figure out which one :0

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 11:46 AM ----------

Now we get down to it. Your local dive shop sends you cards at all special occasions and chocolates too I bet.
Thanks for your help!
[/QUOTE]

Actually, they probably hate me. I am always good for a retractor sale or maybe a few air fills but when it comes to larger purchases I am major bargain shopper. I look online, used, etc so they can either give me a good price or sell it to someone else :)

Second is my regulator. I currently have an Aqualung Mikron which I like but find the breathing to be a little less comfortable if I am inverted. As a replacement, I am considering the Atomic Z3. I know it is their entry level regulator but my understanding is that all of their regs will breath basically the same. The main driver behind the higher prices are "luxury" features or cosmetic upgrades.

This is true for all reg of this type of design. It is physics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom