Want To Get Back Into It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tgk03

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all--I got certified when I was a teen in the 70s. Dove almost every weekend for 10 years. Then adult responsibilities took over. Haven't SCUBA'd in over 20 years.:shakehead:

1. Are there refresher courses? Ya think I need it?
2. Will I be laughed out of the water for my old gear?
3. Is there a market for a quality wetsuit that was tailored to me when I was 16. I'm 50 lbs heavier now.

I'll be spending a lot of time here try to get reacquainted with the sport. Thanks for being here!

Welcome back.I just myself started diving again after an 11 year surface interval.The first thing I did was talk to the owner/chief instructor at a local dive shop(LDS).Based on the fact that I started diving(EVERY day during summers & every weekend during school year) when I was 10 & spent 24 years as a military diver he didn't think taking the Basic Open Water Course again was necessary & recommended a refresher course(3 hours classroom & 2 hours pool followed by 2 open water dives)which I completed only 3 weeks ago.Yes,there are refresher courses but in your case it may not be enough,after all 20 years is a LONG time.Find an LDS that does Refresher's & ask them if they will apply the cost to an Open Water Course should the refresher not be enough.
As for your old gear,has everything been serviced lately?If not,& your not going to pony up for new gear make sure to have everything serviced before diving it.One thing to keep in mind is that gear has changed A LOT!Even the most basic regs made today out breath 20 year old regs by a hundred miles & Dive Computers extend bottom time by 10% or more over Table Diving.The latest rear inflation or jacket style BCD's make it SOOO much easier to maintain proper buoyancy control.
Spend some time reading through as many of the threads as you can on this forum,there are a lot of excellent questions & even more solid advise.Lastly you might be able to sell the wetsuit right here on SB in the Marketplace.A lot of youngsters dive today.Best of luck...

I'd take a refresher course, at the very least. Considering your level of experience when you were diving, it might not help to take the Open Water course again, although it has been a heck of a long time.

For your gear, get it checked thoroughly at a qualified dive shop. Even though vintage gear can work well, it has been lying around for 20 years. The shop will probably try to sell you new gear, but they can help. Also, check with the vintage diving subforum on the board.

You'll still have to spend a lot of money getting back into things, regardless of whether your gear is working well or not.

Stay safe!

I suspect a refresher and/or open water redo isn't going to teach you anything. Find a good buddy / mentor who can bring you up to speed on the latest gear selections and spend some time in the pool working on your skills and buoyancy / trim. Then just do what you always did.... go diving every weekend for another 10 years.

I took 6 years off from diving and jumped back into the water like I had never stopped. Once it's in your blood ( not some occasional vacation diver ) it kind of is like getting back on a bike.

Welcome to SCUBAboard.

I would recommend more than just a refresher course, it been 20 yrs.

As far as the wetsuit, we have a trade-in program, other shops may as well.

Some of you old gear may be brought back to life. It depends on if it's possible and worth the cost. As far as laughted at, I think not.

SCUBA is actually easier & more fun now due to the improved gear.

Do not be surprised if you get some attitude at the dive shop. I took my Dacor regs and aluminum tanks to a shop and they refused to even consider service or hydro. I did eventually find a shop to hydro my tanks and they passed. I did buy new regulators to go with my Selpac manifold. Do look at replacing your horse collar BC with a jacket or wing. You will need to do some research.

OP, I feel your pain. This season, I got back in the water after a surface interval similar to yours. The tech at my LDS told me he wouldn't recommend I invest in the cost of inspection for my old Dacor Pacer. Geez, I really liked that old reg. I remember it was just about the only piece of gear I bought new when I was a young diver. My old gear, in general, just screamed 1980. I was pleased that my old steel 72s passed hydro. The girl at the shop looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head because one of my cylinders had a J-valve and my old AquaLung BC had a CO2 cartridge and my old Healthways mask looks like something out of a James Bond film. I'd taken the BC off of the backpack and just dove on the backpack years ago for shallow dives. So, I had to buy a couple of straps for my Mares Power Planas and for my old Jets, and I had to let go of my favorite Dacor mask because the nose pocket was rotted -- but a couple of bucks and a little research later, and I'm good to go.

Oh, and don't feel bad about the wetsuit. Empirical evidence would tend to suggest that time has a shrinking effect on neoprene. I found a sweet 7mm farmer John and shortie for $30 after a swap meet at my new favorite shop where they don't look down their noses on serviceable vintage gear.

I got back into the water again this season after a bit of research and study, and I felt perfectly confident again right away. If you've got the least bit of hesitation just take a refresher course or dive with an experienced buddy you trust. Go along with your LDS group on a fun dive or two. It's a nice way to build confidence and to see what kind of gear others are diving on, too. You might be pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of divers are using "vintage" gear as part of their set-up and that they're having a blast. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom