Want to dive Great Lakes -- where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked into diving the eastern GL's last summer. I talked with Stoo and a couple of dive operations in the Kingston and St Charles river areas and definitely got the impression it is best to start off with some of the easier lake dives. If I can figure out my scheduling I would really like to get to Tobermory,

The season can be long here... The boats go in in two weeks in Tobermory assuming winter leaves. Tob got hammered this weekend! Early season typically yields best visibility. In Tobermory, upwards of 100' in May and early June is entirely likely. The water is cold though... as in 34° at depth, so drysuits and cold water regs are a necessity.

Into late June and through to early September the water is "warm", although the warmer shallows bring in reduced visibility. The weather tends to be stable from spring through September, but wind can be an issue in the fall. September and October can be the best diving of the season... warmer water, great vis and no people. But ya, wind can be an issue. It's BIG water here, as it is everywhere in the Great Lakes. There's a reason we have 5,000 shipwrecks up here.

Nice responses. Keep them coming! Is there a thread that breaks down the pros and cons of different parts of the GL, including charter operators, stuff to do on the surface, best times of year, temps and viz? I keep dragging my non-diving wife to the tropics, which is great, but she actually hates being hot and we usually do these trips in the summer.

Erie is a lot closer to DC. Great diving in Erie. Most of the best wrecks are in the 100-140 range. Water will be 40 give or take on the bottom. I use Osprey Charters out of Barcelona Harbor just across the line in New York.

Realize that a number of Great Lakes boats are not going to hold your hand, buddy you up with someone, or assess your cert level. No DM in the water and some may not have one on the boat. You bring all your own gear, plan your own dive, and follow your own plan.

I like Osprey because while they will help with getting fins, gloves, etc on, hand your camera to you, and tell you what wreck you're on and where the mooring is, they are not going to check your air, tell you what your plan should be, or check your cert level.

If you're on the boat it's expected you know what you're doing.

I think it would be far too big a topic to put into one thread.... Assuming you are diving "here" you might want to start with how far you want to drive. Eastern Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence would be comfy day trip to get there. Tobermory is more like 12 - 14 hours as would be Milwaukee etc.

I've covered most of the areas you're likely going to want to dive, so maybe I can take a crack at a summary...

St Lawrence - Several recreational dives from schooners to lakers. Strong currents, mediocre vis in the summer, but wetsuit warm. Massive zebra mussel infestation, fair number of fish

Eastern Lake Ontario - Similar to above but many of the best wrecks are a long way out. Warmish in summer. Major zebra mussel issue, water gets kinda stinky in summer

Western Lake Ontario... Minimal offereings, skip it

Lake Erie.. shallow in close wrecks, crap vis, zebra mussels, lots of fish. Further out (like 40 miles around long point), excellent wrecks but tech depths. Possibly better accessed from US side. (See Jim's post above)

Lake Huron... Tons of great options, primarily from the US side. Clear water, colder, very exposed to weather. Aplena area especially nice

Tobermory - Amazingly clear water, cold, dedicated marine park, cool little down. (I'm biased, I have a place there), Lots of charter options

Lake Superior - Whitefish and Sault St Marie... AWESOME wrecks, but deep and cold, limited charter options

Milwaukee/Chicago - lots of great wrecks, great early season vis., lots of charters

Lake Superior - Isles Royale... great wrecks, clear, cold, far, far away, best accessed by liveaboard (I think)

Honestly, you could spend a lifetime diving the lakes... Hell, I have.

Just come to Tobermory. Keep is simple. This is the Arabia. It's a 7 minute boat ride from my door.

Arabia Bow Shirky FINAL Lighter DSC_2440-2.jpg

Arabia Steve Birdseye DSC_4221-3© THF.jpg

The biggest thing you have to tell us is where in the Great Lakes you want to go.

My experience is primarily in Lake Huron. @BoneCrusher just started running paid charters in Lake Huron, but has had a private boat for some time. It is the most relaxed boat I've *ever* dove from. If you're looking for relaxed in Lake Huron, get in touch with him. For non-penetration wrecks Port Sanilac has all kinds from 25' and down. The Sport, Strong, Regina, Mary Alice B, North Star, Col. A. B. Williams, and others. Double Action just moved a boat over to Huron, too. But I'd start with BoneCrusher! :) (MichiganDiver.com is their website.) Best wrecks to consider as solid intros: Regina and Mary Alice B.

I've dove Tobermorry, Canada as well. Lots of wrecks there, too. Also 25' and down. The Niagara II, Sweepstakes (the only wreck I've ever seen with a fence to keep people out of it!), Arabia (a visually stunning wreck), and the Forest City come to mind. The biggest problem is that it's 6+ hours *past* Detroit. If you're driving from DC that's an even longer drive. Best intro: Niagara II. Arabia is great too, but make sure you follow the dive briefing: it's a great wreck to get bent on if you don't.

Finally, I've done just a couple of wrecks in Lake Michigan. I think others have you covered with better info on that side of Lakes. I've done the Thomas Hume and the Wisconsin. (We did some other wreck with the Hume, but I can't remember what it was.) Those are both advanced dives: the Hume is 145' or so, and the Wisconsin is fairly deep and the best parts are inside! :)

But if you can give us an idea of where, we can be more detailed! :)

@Stoo, those are absolutely amaing photos. The Arabia is the most visually stunning wreck I've ever seen. Even things like the Spiegel Grove, as big as she is, don't compare. It looks like a real-life version of something someone would put in their aquarium -- the embodiment of a stereotypical sunken 'pirate wreck'. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks! I've probably logged 400+ dives on her and I still love diving there. I'm blessed that I have such easy access.

Apart from the bowsprit shot above (Which was in DIVER Mag a couple of years ago) this may be my fav shot of her. It was a blind shot, taken as I dropped down from my boat. The viewfinder on my camera and the dome were fogged over and I couldn't see a thing... :)

Arabia Birdseye FINAL © DSC_9445.jpg

Back
Top Bottom