Want to Dive...Can't Find Dive Buddy...Etiquette on Third Wheel-ing it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To echo what some others have said, the AOW course IS basically nothing more than "a few fun dives" and is about as low-pressure and fun as "training" can be.

Although that is how AOW is run a lot of the time, try to find an instructor that is more serious about improving your skills during training. Depending on the instructor, AOW can be a bit of fluff or usefull training.

Bob

Although that is how AOW is run a lot of the time, try to find an instructor that is more serious about improving your skills during training. Depending on the instructor, AOW can be a bit of fluff or usefull training.

Bob
If done properly (even with the 5 dive AOW as opposed to the Advanced Diver which some agencies award after a number of courses) it should be a useful expansion of what was taught on OW as well as a chance to spend some more time under the supervision of an instructor which should help with getting the basic skills nailed.

Is showing up like that viewed as being not a big deal? ex. A solo golfer showing up at a golf course on a busy day (they just pair you up with another group). That or is what I'm suggesting a faux pas? Thank you.

Can't speak for all sites of course, but I would think showing up and hoping to find a buddy would be fine. Just keep in mind you may or may not find one, so just be prepared for the chance you may end up driving home having not gotten wet.
Singles show up regularly at my local quarry. When they do, the quarry staff does a great job of pairing them up with other singles or a group. I'm one of the regulars there and If I'm there planning on a solo dive, I don't mind pairing up with a newish diver for a dive or two.

Well...drove down to Phoenix. If going down there during other than peak times....make sure you have a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom