Want to Dive...Can't Find Dive Buddy...Etiquette on Third Wheel-ing it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the etiquette on third wheeling-it at newbie-friendly dive sites? ex. Lake Phoenix in Virginia. I have wanted to dive several weekends since I checked out in September, but I've not had a lot of success finding a buddy locally. ex. DiveBuddy, Meetup, ScubaBoard, etc. Most of the people that I've spoken with who are still diving are far more advanced and are not interested in shallow dives.

I did find a buddy for a local dive yesterday, but we had to scrub the dive due to last minute change in conditions. He seems like a good guy and it seems like he'd be game to give it another go, but I'm waiting to hear back on the next proposed dive day.

Is there a kosher way of doing what I've suggested? At this point...my options seem to be: 1. Show up somewhere and hope that someone is ok with a newbie tagging along, 2. Just give up for now and wait until it warms up and fair weather x < AOW divers dust their gear off, or 3. Go gunning for a Darwin Award and dive alone (I don't have a negative opinion of the concept of diving alone...I just recognize that with my lack of experience...it would be a very bad idea).

Is showing up like that viewed as being not a big deal? ex. A solo golfer showing up at a golf course on a busy day (they just pair you up with another group). That or is what I'm suggesting a faux pas? Thank you.

Attachments

• why-am-i-third-wheel-meme.jpg
    why-am-i-third-wheel-meme.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 629
What is the etiquette on third wheeling-it at newbie-friendly dive sites? ex. Lake Phoenix in Virginia. I have wanted to dive several weekends since I checked out in September, but I've not had a lot of success finding a buddy locally. ex. DiveBuddy, Meetup, ScubaBoard, etc. Most of the people that I've spoken with who are still diving are far more advanced and are not interested in shallow dives.

I did find a buddy for a local dive yesterday, but we had to scrub the dive due to last minute change in conditions. He seems like a good guy and it seems like he'd be game to give it another go, but I'm waiting to hear back on the next proposed dive day.

Is there a kosher way of doing what I've suggested? At this point...my options seem to be: 1. Show up somewhere and hope that someone is ok with a newbie tagging along, 2. Just give up for now and wait until it warms up and fair weather x < AOW divers dust their gear off, or 3. Go gunning for a Darwin Award and dive alone (I don't have a negative opinion of the concept of diving alone...I just recognize that with my lack of experience...it would be a very bad idea).

Is showing up like that viewed as being not a big deal? ex. A solo golfer showing up at a golf course on a busy day (they just pair you up with another group). That or is what I'm suggesting a faux pas? Thank you.
Sign up for an advance open water class or any class that interests you. This way you can network with others in class at same level as yourself.

You might check with area dive shops and find one that is going to Lake Phoenix for "fun dives." It is a bit late in the season, however.

You can ask folks you find at the site if you can tag along. Sometimes that works. No real protocol, except you'll need to do their dive, rather than expecting them do do your dive....in terms of depths, times, etc.

I've had people tag along and sometimes it works, sometimes it is a disaster.

Don't run yourself down when you meet someone.

Oh, and if they are in drysuits and you are in a wetsuit, it will likely not work out....they'll want to go deep, and you won't. So look for someone who is dressed and rigged like you are, not someone in sidemount or using a rebreather!

And do not go Solo. Lake Phoenix frowns on that unless properly rigged and certified to do that.

Sign up for an advance open water class or any class that interests you. This way you can network with others in class at same level as yourself.

How is someone that got their OW certification five minutes ago and completed no additional dives at the same level as someone that has AOW certification or is enrolled in an AOW class?

That's one of the main reasons that I didn't want to just roll straight from OW to AOW. If I register for a boat dive or show up to 'x' dive site, I don't want someone jumping to the conclusion that I'm "advanced" just because I happen to have an AOW certification.

I am interested in taking the AOW class in a few months. However, I was hoping to get at least a couple dozen dives logged before I do that.

You might check with area dive shops and find one that is going to Lake Phoenix for "fun dives." It is a bit late in the season, however.

You can ask folks you find at the site if you can tag along. Sometimes that works. No real protocol, except you'll need to do their dive, rather than expecting them do do your dive....in terms of depths, times, etc.

I've had people tag along and sometimes it works, sometimes it is a disaster.

Don't run yourself down when you meet someone.

Oh, and if they are in drysuits and you are in a wetsuit, it will likely not work out....they'll want to go deep, and you won't. So look for someone who is dressed and rigged like you are, not someone in sidemount or using a rebreather!

Yup. I understand completely that if I do this, I'll just be along for the ride. I'm fine with that.

If I do this, I will keep equipment and exposure gear in mind. The water temperature has dropped a good bit since September. I'm guessing that a lot of the people out there will be diving dry by this point.

Thank you for your response. It hits upon my main concern, which is whether or not I'd be "that guy" just for showing up like that and asking the question.:cheers:

I don't want someone jumping to the conclusion that I'm "advanced" just because I happen to have an AOW certification.
AOW only means you are advanced beyond open water. Many AOW-card holders are NOT advanced divers.
If you don't want to do AOW, do some other class. The point is to have an instructor and classmates.

You ask how I someone that just got ow certified at same level as others in advance ow class. You all are only ow certified. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some will argue to get some magic number of dives logged before advance ow. After being an instructor for close to 50 years I have to say I believe it best to take advance immediately after open water. No bad habits have formed yet hopefully, skills still fresh. Purchase your own gear , not just a mask, snorkel, fins, boots , but appropriate thermal protection,regulator, BCD, dive computer if you believe the activity is for you and you are serious about becoming better and more comfortable with diving. Needing to rent and thinking your skill, comfort level will increase with rental gear will not likely happen. Using a different wetsuit, different bcd, causes buoyancy differences every time and you will have a tough time with buoyancy control. Use same exact gear that you own and in a short time you can zero in on exact lead weight needs for buoyancy control. Use a computer that you own and understand the information it is giving you during a dive. Know how to use the plan mode in computer, know how to set it for nitrox when you get certified for nitrox. Know where on computer ascent rate indicator is, and all features it may offer. Otherwise if not serious about being active in diving, not serious about being comfortable and skilled in diving, then just rent gear and deal with issues that my occur.

Your best options are probably to look for dive clubs and dive shops in your area to find out if they are offering any trips or weekend excursions that you can join.

AOW only means you are advanced beyond open water. Many AOW-card holders are NOT advanced divers.

If you don't want to do AOW, do some other class. The point is to have an instructor and classmates.

I'm interested in doing AOW and other classes (ex. Rescue). Just not at the moment.

If I decide that I want to go the buy-a-buddy route in another month or two, I'll talk with my OW instructor about doing the AOW class.

You ask how I someone that just got ow certified at same level as others in advance ow class. You all are only ow certified. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some will argue to get some magic number of dives logged before advance ow. After being an instructor for close to 50 years I have to say I believe it best to take advance immediately after open water. No bad habits have formed yet hopefully, skills still fresh. Purchase your own gear , not just a mask, snorkel, fins, boots , but appropriate thermal protection,regulator, BCD, dive computer if you believe the activity is for you and you are serious about becoming better and more comfortable with diving. Needing to rent and thinking your skill, comfort level will increase with rental gear will not likely happen. Using a different wetsuit, different bcd, causes buoyancy differences every time and you will have a tough time with buoyancy control. Use same exact gear that you own and in a short time you can zero in on exact lead weight needs for buoyancy control. Use a computer that you own and understand the information it is giving you during a dive. Know how to use the plan mode in computer, know how to set it for nitrox when you get certified for nitrox. Know where on computer ascent rate indicator is, and all features it may offer. Otherwise if not serious about being active in diving, not serious about being comfortable and skilled in diving, then just rent gear and deal with issues that my occur.

Gear wise, I have everything. Mask, snorkel, boots, fins, regulators, BC, computer, weights, wet suit, gloves, tanks, etc.The only thing that I might rent (if I go to a place like Phoenix) is a tank, if I decide to use Nitrox.

I'll be using the wet suit that I bought for my OW class, so I know how much lead I'll need. I purchased the same regulators and BC that I used in class, so I'm familiar with them. I picked up a computers and spent several hours tinkering with it so I know how to use the settings. Air ---> Nitrox (I have Nitrox cert), Fresh ---> salt, altitude, etc.

Your best options are probably to look for dive clubs and dive shops in your area to find out if they are offering any trips or weekend excursions that you can join.

Unfortunately, it seems like I'm late in the season for that. Several of the clubs in my area (I joined a big club) had group dives in the area through the end of October.

I'll attend the Buddy Dive Day that Coral Edge Adventures puts on at Millbrook Quarry on 11/18 and the public dive day that Scuba Shack has at the Rappahannock Quarry in January. Other than that...I'm not seeing much for local club activity for the next month or more.

You are mistaken about what AOW means (I’m referring to PADI). The word “advanced” is misleading. Those who take AOW are not “advanced” in any way, unless they’ve had hundreds of dives under their belt before taking the course just to get the card for practical reasons. Many people take AOW immediately after rolling out of OW. And I personally think that’s the best time to do it. It really is only 5 experience dives with an instructor who will teach you some new stuff and keep an eye on you. I can’t think of a better way for a newbie to get additional dives in under an instructor’s supervision, especially for someone who doesn’t have a buddy.

I know many people don’t think AOW is worth the money, and there will be those who like to DIY everything. I certainly was not one of those people. I simply didn’t have the confidence immediately out of OW to DIY.

You are mistaken about what AOW means (I’m referring to PADI). The word “advanced” is misleading. Those who take AOW are not “advanced” in any way, unless they’ve had hundreds of dives under their belt before taking the course just to get the card for practical reasons. Many people take AOW immediately after rolling out of OW. And I personally think that’s the best time to do it. It really is only 5 experience dives with an instructor who will teach you some new stuff and keep an eye on you. I can’t think of a better way for a newbie to get additional dives in under an instructor’s supervision, especially for someone who doesn’t have a buddy.

I know many people don’t think AOW is worth the money, and there will be those who like to DIY everything (vs spending money). I certainly was not one of those people. I simply didn’t have the confidence immediately out of OW to DIY.

I'm not discounting the value of the AOW course. I would just prefer to complete a few fun dives outside of a training environment before I shell out another $400+ for a certification card...when I really only have interest (for the time being) in diving conditions that would be covered under a basic OW certification.

Edit: That probably ties into why I'm having a problem finding a buddy. For the time being...I would be perfectly content and have a good time puttering around at x < 40' in a quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom