Want to borrow/rent Can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guy Alcala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be taking Fundies with Rob Lee in June, and would like to take the class in full tech rig to try for a tech pass (yeah, right). Having been able to buy or borrow everything else I need, I'm still short of a can light, which I can't afford at the moment. Does anyone have a can light they're willing to loan or rent to me for the class? I promise to treat it well, and naturally if any damage does occur I will pay to repair it.

Thanks,

Guy

When's your class? I'm upgrading my light so I might have one on the market soon.

Taking it now, Ben. Did the pool work this past weekend, and next weekend's in Monterey. Don was kind enough to loan me one for Rob's class. Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in the market for a can light now, as I can't currently afford one. At the rate that LEDs are improving, I figure that I'll buy an LED light that won't _need_ a can to provide adequate burn time. This was my first experience using a can light, and the cord definitely makes drills more complicated, adds failure points and increases the possibility of entanglement. Even if one of GUE's tenets weren't minimalism, it's one of mine; that and simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

ISTM the only reason to have a battery in a separate can is for longer burn times, when putting that battery on the light head would be inconvenient or tiring; battery cans made sense when all that was available were lead-acid batteries and halogen bulbs, less sense with HID lights and NiMH or Lithium batteries, and little or no sense with LED and NiMH/Lithium batteries except for the most extreme dives.

I have no interest in doing multi-hour cave dives (I want to dive deep wrecks), so I only need about 1.5-2 hour burn time at close to full power (assuming a battery swap between dives); any longer run time and conditions are likely to have changed too much for safety. I can get that now in a 10W (or greater) HID-equivalent LED light with a 6 deg. or tighter beam angle; there are even LED lights (like the MBSub - http://www.mb-sub.com/fileadmin/user_upload/X1englisch.pdf ) with focusable beams now. Prices are only going to come down and performance go up, so I'm in no hurry to make a purchase. But I know I won't be buying an HID light, as I consider them on the cusp (if not past it) of obsolescence, and they lack the robustness that I want in a light (not to mention they and their bulbs are god-awful expensive).

Thanks again for the offer,

Guy

Last edited:
Yeah - Good luck Guy!

I doubt luck will do it - What I need is a big helping of skill :dunce:, 10-20 years worth of flexibility returned to me, and about triple my inherent ability to multi-task:loopy: The difference between this and normal recreational diving puts me in mind of learning to drive a big rig in heavy street traffic, after having only previously driven a car on rural freeways.

But I wanted a class that would challenge me, and boy, does this one qualify. Who knew trying _not_ to move could be such exhausting:coolingoff:, frustrating :shakehead: work. Or as Rob all too frequently put it, :no:.

Guy (who will now spend the next hour sitting on the floor leaning back against the wall, while wearing his harness, plate, doubles, regs, can and back-up lights as he practices the basic five, valve drills & S-drills while looking only at the ceiling) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom