Wananavu Beach Resort in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I'm still searching for that illusive perfect trip, and have kind of a specific question. I myself am an avid diver, but have non-diving relatives. I've heard so many great things about Wananavu Beach Resort in Raki Raki as a base for dive trips into the Bligh Water, but I'm interested whether or not it's a worthwile place to visit for a family vacation which would involve some diving (I'm curious as to whether the diving there is beginner friendly or not, I'm kind of a newbie). How's the resort (rooms, food, is it sanitary), and how are the activities. Is there any snorkeling nearby? Do they do nature hikes or visits to waterfalls, cultural sites, ect.? Thanks for your help everyone. Also, thoughts on Beqa island or anywhere else close to Viti Levu (preferably somewhere that can be reached without small aircraft) would be appreciated. Thanks again.
-Mantasscareme

Visited Wananavu Resort last year for a few days after staying at Sonaisali Resort which is opposite the Mamamanuca Islands near Nadi (highly recommended resort but not for diving). Wananavu is about 2 hours North of the airport and the transfer is by Taxi (thus chance to get into a Supermarket).

The resort is by no means luxurious. More rustic cottages overloooking the sea (avoid the cheaper ?garden cottages). Pleasant swimming pool. Very good food in the restaurant which for Fiji wasn't too expensive. I believe that it was to have an upgrade and become an all-inclusive. Pretty much a three star enclave.

There were two dive centres in the grounds though only one was running. Dived out of a reasonably sized boat. Never more than ten on the boat. The dives on the reefs/bommies a mile or two off the coast was very good, with excellent soft corals and topography. Excellent nooks/crannies/caverns to explore. Not much in the way of big fish life but good numbers of smaller shoals/individuals.

There was some current but it wasn't really ardous. A Kiwi lad of 12 years was on the dives with very few dives and he managed well.

There were a couple of guys from Texas were at the resort. They had come from Beqa and spoke highly of the facilities/diving at Beqa. Sounded superior.

There were trips to an island opposite the resort which had small tramps and snorkelling. For rafting etc would need to go into the interior.

The local area isn't really your typical tropical island, palm trees and all. We went to the Yasawa Islands ten years ago and it was a tropical ideAL.
Roger

Mantasscareme:
Hi all, I'm still searching for that illusive perfect trip, and have kind of a specific question. I myself am an avid diver, but have non-diving relatives. I've heard so many great things about Wananavu Beach Resort in Raki Raki as a base for dive trips into the Bligh Water, but I'm interested whether or not it's a worthwile place to visit for a family vacation which would involve some diving (I'm curious as to whether the diving there is beginner friendly or not, I'm kind of a newbie). How's the resort (rooms, food, is it sanitary), and how are the activities. Is there any snorkeling nearby? Do they do nature hikes or visits to waterfalls, cultural sites, ect.? Thanks for your help everyone. Also, thoughts on Beqa island or anywhere else close to Viti Levu (preferably somewhere that can be reached without small aircraft) would be appreciated. Thanks again.
-Mantasscareme

Wananavu is rather remote. Best contact the management to find out what kind of trips for non-divers they organize. I've stayed there four times, but always to dive - on one visiti in particular, they seemed to have something organized for nondivers almost every day; on other stays I've seen no notices of such activities.

britkiwi:
The local area isn't really your typical tropical island, palm trees and all. We went to the Yasawa Islands ten years ago and it was a tropical ideAL.
Roger

What do you mean by "not the tropical ideal"?

Mantasscareme:
What do you mean by "not the tropical ideal"?

The area around Wananavu is arid and largely grass and sugarcan covered hills. Wananavu itself is nicely landscaped and quite tropical.

You can read my trip report on my photo site below.

I think the bures are better than "rustic", food was inclusive in my package and pretty good with a nice selection. Some dinners were better than others. Great pool. Not much to do off grounds Raki-Raki isn't much. Our non-divers had a nice time relaxing around the pool or taking some organized beach parties, etc. Depends what they want.

The diving is superb, some currents, etc. Much better than Bequa. There might be some opportunity for non-divers to come along and snorkel on some sites.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom