Waking up on vacation--how early is too early for a first dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a morning person. I would wake up early on vacation only to dive, otherwise I try to sleep in as much as the kids will let me.

That being said, I don't want to wake up too early either. My last vacation I skipped several dive operations that checked in before 7 am. The boat I did pick checked in at 7 am. If I had to be at the shop to check in at 6 I would definitely find another boat that checked in later.

I hate mornings. I particularly hate getting up any earlier than my body clock wants to wake me (loathe alarms). But that said, when I go to Mexico, which is two hours earlier than we are, I'm generally up by 6 or 6:30 at the latest, and I wouldn't mind going diving then. On the Red Sea liveaboards we did, I think reveille was at 6 or something, and although I was a little muzzy-headed, I got up and went diving. What the lure is makes a big difference. I'll do things to dive that I'll mutter angrily about doing to work :)

I'm not a morning person. I hate getting up early... i love going back to sleep when the alarm goes off... But for diving i'll happily leap out of bed. Why I love liveaboards, I can wake up, have some toast and tea and be in the water before I know it. Liveaboards are my perfect vacation.

I get up about 6 am or so everyday. But, I NEED my pot of coffee and then breakfast before I even think about diving. I've changed resorts because the old resort did not offer anything other than an 8 am 2 tank boat dive. PERIOD. The new resort offers diving at 9 am, 10:30 am, 2 pm and 3:30 pm. I can pick (and pay for) as many or as little diving I want to do.

I too love live aboards, but I could never get ready in time for the first morning dive. It's just the way I'm built I guess!!

I dont care how early I have to wake up if it means I get to go diving!:yeahbaby:

On vacation I really don't want to have to get up any earlier than to make an 8:00 AM dive. If one shop offered 7:00 AM dives and another offered 8:00 or 8:30 dives all else being equal I'd pick the later.

I expect to wake up earlier and go to bed earlier when I am on a dive trip.

In Oct 2011 we stayed at Sipadan Water Village and were waking up at either 0415 or 0430 to dive Sipadan Island the days we were scheduled to. I didn't even wake up that early when I was in the military...it was worth it, to say the least. Unbelievable diving.

a SB'er here had posted of his favorite "night" dive was to go in before sunrise, and be in the water when the reef woke up.....

For me, if it is a charter, they leave the dock at 8:00, and it is 2 hours to get there.... yep, I'm up early for diving....

i have had live-a-board dives where the 10 am dive was much better than the 7 am dive at the same site. i have done 5 am dives but generally prefer 8 - 9 am pick-ups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom