Wakatobi/Pelagian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karma Krafts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Pelagian Dive Report July 2011: Beware is the first thing that comes to mind. What you book and what you get are two entirely different things. Even if you confirm with Wakatobi prior to your trip that what you think you're getting and they agree to it in writing you still won't get it. For example they changed my 10 day charter (which was booked a year in advance) to two 5 day charters but assured me I wouldn't be diving the same sites as the resort even though I shared my concern that my itinerary would be compromised by having to return to the resort half way. Henrik, the vice president told me personally that wouldn't happen and it did, a full day and one half. I also made my booking because of others who told me about two of the best sites over by Buton. I am a videographer and that was my main focus doing those muck diving. I wanted to make sure I was going to dive there and again spoke to the VP and made sure he was aware of my concern - again because of the altering of my contract booking, his reply, I will contact the proper people to make sure you will dive this area. That never happened - even after several requests on board. There were others who were there specifically for the muck diving who shared my disappointment. My master suite was so overridden with mold we had to keep our door open all the time and another couple requested to have them move from their mold infested cabin to another vacant room and they gave them a real hard time and wanted them to pay for the other room. I have other issues as well but the above is the main issue. I should mention I did contact the VP on this issue and after the response "I wish I knew what to say" I have tried to communicate further and received no response. If you have any notion of going on the Pelagian then don't read any of the information they post on their website for you will be disappointed. You don't get all what they say or what you pay for. Beware! www.karmakraftsundersea.com

I have not been aboard the Pelagian, but have stayed at Wakatobi Resort. Those who boarded the Pelagian for the same period we were at the resort said their trip was not significantly different or better than what we dived from the resort. Again, I am only repeating what I was told, since I was not aboard the boat.

Wow ... that's surprising to hear. I spent a week on the Pelagian in 2008, doing dives in the Komodo region ... and I thought it was a first-class operation all the way.

Sorry you didn't come away with the same impression ... I hope Henrik finds a way to make it right for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not fun when you pay a lot of money,travel half way across the world and have issue's like karma Krafts

Button is indeed a good macro area and i would not of been happy especially what you have to pay with wakotobi,feel karma Krafts has some issue's here and at least should have a gesture of some refund.

I have mentioned before that a liveaboard from here does not cover the best Wakotobi has to offer.

The best thing is a independant liveaboard that cover a wide area of this region.like the one i went on which ended in bira and along the southern coast are some great sites to add to everything else

Thank you very much for the feedback and details of your experience.

It does not sound like a good experience to arrange one trip and be offered another - especially on something with such a good reputation and in such a remote place. Please accept my empathy for your travails.

I am not criticizing you or your experience, but as a curious dive operator - what would you be hoping for from them? I certainly know how we would react, but I am not the guest - you are!

I look forward to your further posts and hope you get resolution from them soon!

WOW ! 10 day's from $4,080 USD,can't be because of fuel costs :D

Yes it would be interesting to now from karma Krafts what their response was to the issue's

Well folks, apparently I'm blinded by the light. According to them it's all a matter of perception. I guess I wasn't promised to dive certain sites? I guess my room didn't have mold and odor. I guess most of what I experienced in a negative way should have been looked at in a positive way like I should have said to myself "Oh so what that I spent well over 10 grand and thought I was getting certain thing and I didn't? They say others would have just been happy to have stayed at their establishment and looked at my short comings with a big happy face. Make what you will from this but I for one won't ever go there and will share with others my experience. There are tons of places to go in the region that are a heck of a lot cheaper and don't think you're getting anything high end from Wakatobi, which is suppose to be there main sell. Safe diving to all.

Well sometimes you learn the hard way,like you have,so i feel for you.Total trip of 10 grand bloody hell.

Give me 500 ! and i will guide you around great macro sites in BALI :D:

What really amazes me is how so few people follow up on their negative experiences even after you hear them share their disappointments at the time of the trip. So many had problems - they maybe not be to the extent of mine, but by being silent only encourages things to stay the same plus makes the ones (like me) who speak out seem like I'm the only one and they assume everyone else was happy so this guy is just a bad apple. I for one expect to get what I'm promised - period. I suppose we all deal with things in our own comfortable way - to each his/her own. Cheers

Well folks, apparently I'm blinded by the light. According to them it's all a matter of perception. I guess I wasn't promised to dive certain sites? I guess my room didn't have mold and odor. I guess most of what I experienced in a negative way should have been looked at in a positive way like I should have said to myself "Oh so what that I spent well over 10 grand and thought I was getting certain thing and I didn't? They say others would have just been happy to have stayed at their establishment and looked at my short comings with a big happy face. Make what you will from this but I for one won't ever go there and will share with others my experience. There are tons of places to go in the region that are a heck of a lot cheaper and don't think you're getting anything high end from Wakatobi, which is suppose to be there main sell. Safe diving to all.
I'm sorry your Pelegian experience was so poor, but you keep mentioning Wakatobi. Did you actually stay at the Wakatobi resort or just on the liveaboard? I found many aspects of the resort itself to be high end, but don't have any experience with the liveaboard.

Back
Top Bottom