Wakatobi/Pelagian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman, No need to apologize, but do appreciate your concern. I used the word Wakatobi since they are the owners of the liveaboard the Pelagian, I avoided the use of the words "Wakatobi Resort" since the operation is quite different from what I have heard from others. I didn't comment on the Resort since I have not stayed there. However I have had many contacts with the owner/partners, that together run the Resort and liveaboard. I have shared what I know from my personal experience and wouldn't speculate on someplace I haven't been.

Mossman, No need to apologize, but do appreciate your concern. I used the word Wakatobi since they are the owners of the liveaboard the Pelagian, I avoided the use of the words "Wakatobi Resort" since the operation is quite different from what I have heard from others. I didn't comment on the Resort since I have not stayed there. However I have had many contacts with the owner/partners, that together run the Resort and liveaboard. I have shared what I know from my personal experience and wouldn't speculate on someplace I haven't been.
You misunderstood the word "sorry". Of course I wasn't apologizing, I was feeling sympathy or pity for you. Take your pick. From dictionary.com:
sor·ry

[sor-ee, sawr-ee] adjective, -ri·er, -ri·est. 1.feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.: to be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble.

Wow ... that's surprising to hear. I spent a week on the Pelagian in 2008, doing dives in the Komodo region ... and I thought it was a first-class operation all the way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Two totally different diving spots . . . Komodo will win hands down every time over Wakatobi......If the diving is great and everyone is statisfied after the dives the small and sometimes big things will be over looked . . . . .

@Wayan

For sure Komodo is by far a better dive destination than Wakotobi region,even if komodo does not have deep wall's.

As mentioned before some site's we checked out along the southern coast of Sulawesi were great wall dives.

I will have to look at my log books and name the sites as it was a remote area

for karma Krafts for all the money and promises,for sure i would of expected to dive Button and would not at all of been happy if that did not happen.

might be helpful to post pelagians actual emails if you want to?

I spent a week on the pelagian followed by a week at the resort in 2009. I wish I spent both weeks at the resort. The resort was everything the boat was not.

Pelagian Dive Report July 2011: I also made my booking because of others who told me about two of the best sites over by Buton. I am a videographer and that was my main focus doing those muck diving. I wanted to make sure I was going to dive there and again spoke to the VP and made sure he was aware of my concern - again because of the altering of my contract booking, his reply, I will contact the proper people to make sure you will dive this area. That never happened - even after several requests on board. There were others who were there specifically for the muck diving who shared my disappointment.

I really enjoy muck diving too (last year at Lembeh was AMAZING), but maybe count your blessings you missed it. On our trip about 50% of the divers on the Pelagian came down with terrible ear infections from diving in the polluted water around Buton. I think we cleaned the resort out of cipro and medicated ear drops.

I agree that the resort diving was better than the Pelagian itinerary. They should have clarified exactly what you would be doing on your itinerary when they switched to the current mix and match cruise durations.

The Pelagian is a nice boat. We were on it before the conversion to 5 rooms. We were in the remaining lousy cabin. It was a miserable room. The diving wasn't very good either.

I've stayed at the resort twice and done the Pelagian once. Yet, there were people who have done both who preferred the liveaboard. Maybe 10 divers vs. 50+ at the resort means something, but not to me.

Pelagian and its itinerary are not worth the money. As far as Wakatobi, yes, it as some nice walls but very little variety. Better to head to Lembeh, Bangka Island, Ambon, or one of the many itineraries on liveaboards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom