Wakatobi info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Wakatobi before (2019), and I'm returning in a couple of months. The reason it appeals to me is the seclusion of the resort and diving, the ability to have a "personalized" DM accompany me while I'm diving, the diving itself, and the quality of the resort and amenities.
This place looks like a dream come true. I assume the older reviews about the bad water, bugs, 11 divers per DM .. and all are 'old'. Have recent divers at Wakatobi had good to great experiences?

This place looks like a dream come true. I assume the older reviews about the bad water, bugs, 11 divers per DM .. and all are 'old'. Have recent divers at Wakatobi had good to great experiences?
Luckily I'll get to report back to you about "recent" experiences in a couple of months. As for the other things, I didn't experience any of it. Bugs are a part of the tropics, so you should be prepared anyway. I find Cactus Juice works great for me. The water was amazing and I didn't see any group with more than 4 or 5 divers per DM on my trip. My wife and I had a Villa and so we were assigned a great DM for the whole trip (one DM for the two of us).

I don't know what it'll be like post-pandemic, but I'm hoping it's similar to how it was the first time.

Luckily I'll get to report back to you about "recent" experiences in a couple of months.
We will look forward to your report .. didn't realize you get the private guide with the villa .. price list breaks it out separately but maybe for the bungalows.

We will look forward to your report .. didn't realize you get the private guide with the villa .. price list breaks it out separately but maybe for the bungalows.
Yeah, the private guide comes with the Villas, but it's a separate option/cost with the bungalows. When I priced it out for our first trip, it was basically an even split whether you stayed in a Villa, or stayed in a bungalow and added the PD.

Just curious. Where else have you dived in Indonesia?
Dan I'm embarrassed to just be seeing this now. Komodo several times, several trips to Bali, Bancka, Selayar, Bira, Halmahera each once. (Northern Raja Ampat starts tomorrow, March 11 and Banda Sea and Southern RA in October.)

Dan I'm embarrassed to just be seeing this now. Komodo several times, several trips to Bali, Bancka, Selayar, Bira, Halmahera each once. (Northern Raja Ampat starts tomorrow, March 11 and Banda Sea and Southern RA in October.)
Glad to hear that you’re going to Northern RA. Please post your experience there. I was there in last December 2022 on Mermaid 2. Still putting together my trip video. Will post it soon.

I was in Banda Sea back in November 2019 & 2022. Here are some videos from the trips:

I just returned from 10 days at Wakatobi and am pleased to report they are still one of the best dive resorts in the world (IMHO). Everything we experienced during our initial trip in 2019 was similar or better this time, as the shut down time allowed the resort to update and repair a few things, and it apparently allowed to reefs to thrive. We definitely noticed the amount of fish was much more than before, and the reefs looked great. The service at the resort is still first class all the way, and everything, from the food to the dive team to the resort managers, was just as good as it was during our first trip.

Because we caught the end of the rainy season, the weather was a bit challenging some days, but there was only one dive we chose not to do (although the boat did go out anyway). There were no pesky bugs to speak of, except maybe some houseflies...the environmentally friendly pest control worked wonders. The underwater visibility was estimated at between 70-100 feet, temperature was a constant 85-86 deg F, and the most divers I saw with a DM was 4 (we had a private dive guide for me and my wife). A few raw, unsigned pics from the trip are attached.

Attachments

• _DSC0007.jpg
    _DSC0007.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
  • _DSC0031.jpg
    _DSC0031.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC0250.jpg
    _DSC0250.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSC9305.jpg
    _DSC9305.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC9606.jpg
    _DSC9606.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 50
I just returned from 10 days at Wakatobi and am pleased to report they are still one of the best dive resorts in the world (IMHO). Everything we experienced during our initial trip in 2019 was similar or better this time,
Wow @BFRedrocks those pics are amazing and I hope you share a few more once you've settle back. We went ahead and made our deposit .. it's a ways off (June '24) and a special birthday trip to splurge for. Your pictures wet our appetite :)

I just returned from 10 days at Wakatobi and am pleased to report they are still one of the best dive resorts in the world (IMHO).
I assume you're referring specifically to Wakatobi Dive Resort. It's famous for overall quality experience and infamous for high prices; whether a given level of 'luxury' is worth a given added premium cost is up to the potential customer. Evidently you thought it was, for you. Can you elaborate specifically on what features you personally got for whatever extra cost you paid (vs. some hypothetical cheaper alternative; I have't priced any out so I don't know the numbers) that made it worthwhile to you? It might help others struggling with that decision.

Also was over in Wakatobi in late October '22 as part of a local shop trip and had a great time. Yes, expensive, but had a great time. The Resort agents had shepherd'd us though the arrivals at Bali, which was nice to have after being pretty nackered from the flights from Seattle to Bali via Singapore. Out of the group of about 10, we had 4 CCR divers, which the resort is able to support nicely. The "Waka" boats were really nice to dive from, and nicely outfitted with very nice head, large camera area, and plenty of room on deck. They are all made locally from wood and impressive. We did 70-90 minute dives, and our guide normally just hung at his comfortable depth while we were generally at deeper depths. Not many larger fish/sharks, with the biggest being an eagle ray. One of our folks did see a blacktip down deep but that was about it for bigger animals, smaller macro opportunities did not disappoint. Food was excellent with great service. We did stay in one of the oceanfront bungalows (not a villa), which was also very nice and air conditioned. Overall, yes, I'd go again no doubt. Not sure how many photos I took, but this is good sample set: Jim Piavis - Wakatobi 2022.

Back
Top Bottom