Waikiki Sept 14-26th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CooperGR2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im going to going on a trip to Waikiki from Sept. 14th-26th and I am trying to do as much diving as possible. I have seen a lot of people using Captain Bruce or Ocean Concepts, but I was wondering if anyone has ever dove with Aquazone Scuba or Reef Pirates? Aquazone Scuba has a 7 day unlimited dives deal for $650 which seems like it will give me the most bang for my buck. I was wondering if anyone would have some input or advise for me. The other thing I like about Reef Pirates is that they have a two tank night dive that I would be interested in doing.

Of those you listed, I've only used Ocean Concepts, but that was almost 18 months ago. I quickly found better options after I got my certification with them. To my knowledge Capt Bruce and Ocean Concepts only operate out of Waianae...NOT very convenient if you're staying in Waikiki. I have no experience with Aquazone or Reef Pirates, but I will recommend you look at Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kaimana Divers | Dive Oahu with the pros.

Gabe (View Profile: scottitheduck - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Divers Social Network) runs a great operation. Depending on the conditions, they'll dive from boats in town (Waikiki), Hawaii Kai, or Waianae. They also do shore dives if conditions and interest permit. His crew is fun, professional, and safe.

Im going to going on a trip to Waikiki from Sept. 14th-26th and I am trying to do as much diving as possible. I have seen a lot of people using Captain Bruce or Ocean Concepts, but I was wondering if anyone has ever dove with Aquazone Scuba or Reef Pirates? Aquazone Scuba has a 7 day unlimited dives deal for $650 which seems like it will give me the most bang for my buck. I was wondering if anyone would have some input or advise for me. The other thing I like about Reef Pirates is that they have a two tank night dive that I would be interested in doing.
If you have been to Oahu before, then it's fine to do a lot of diving this time. If if this is the first time, there's so much else to do, it's better not to plan for "unlimited" diving. We were just there. We did a round the island tour, the PCC, Manoa Falls hike, Pearl Harbour, Diamond Head hike, Chief's luau, Outrigger canoe ride (on double hulk canoes, not the rec canoes), surf lessons, drive Round Top, Okinawan festival, free Hula show, Kailua beach, shoped at Costco and Hilo Hatties, dinners at Lulu's overlooking Diamond Head and beach, walked all over Waikiki, saw the HHV firework, and yes I did 2 mornings of diving. There really is a lot to do in Oahu, other than diving.

Seven years ago I did my AOW with Capt Bruces. They picked me up and dropped me off in Waikiki each time. So it wasn't incovenient, just take some time in that driving trips.

My opinion differs from Torontonian. I was in Oahu back in June, and prefered my time underwater, compared to the hussle above water. Give Gabe a call, he does a discount after your first dive, heck maybe he will do a package of some kind for you. Get wet, and stay wet. North Shore shore diving was good also, so if you can find a buddy, tanks are available for rent from the surf shop on the north shore, cant remember the name now. I personally prefered the shore dives up north, but I like going at my own pace:)

I leave tomorrow for Oahu and I have booked the 7 day unlimited package with Aquazone. I will update this thread after I have a few dives with them.

4 days and 16 dives into our trip and I am pretty happy with Aquazone. The staff is friendly and helpful. The boats they use are comfortable, particularly the catamaran Aukai. They know where the good dive sites are and will lead you as required. If you are reasonably skilled, they won't smother you.

If you do the 7 day unlimited package, be aware it is a lot of diving. From pickup around 7 am to the end of diving around 3pm, you are constantly diving or in transit. There is a short break for lunch around 11am when the boat returns to harbour.

I love the amount of diving we are doing but it is exhausting. My days now consist of eating, sleeping and diving - and I love it!

I will do a final update at the end of my 7 days. Tomorrow morning is my 100th dive so I am looking forward to it.

Does Aquazone's 7-day unlimited package include unlimited tanks for shore diving also, or is it 'unlimited' as in you can dive up to 4 tanks a day off a boat? Seriously curious...I have not had any experience with Aquazone before.

I have not asked if tanks for shore diving are included but as far as I am concerned, 4 dives a day is enough! The shop seems pretty flexible so I suspect if someone wanted more diving, they could be accommodated.

I ended up diving with Kaimana Divers. I was very satisfied even though it was a little more expensive it was worth it to dive all over the island. Their staff is amazing and really friendly. I am not here to talk bad about AquaZone becuase we were on the boat with them a few times and I even dove with them once due to Gabe having some staffing issues due to illnesses, and Travis my guide from AquaZone basically let me do my own thing while staying close and he was really cool. The only thing that I can say is that when I called them they told me that I would dive the same sites multiple times and would basically be out of Waikiki the whole time. Where Gabe did everything in his power to get me all over the island and I got a big number of dives in at almost every possible spot. From what I can infer is that the 7 day unlimited package is just for the boat dives and I'd assume they would charge you extra for the tanks for shore diving.

Back
Top Bottom