Waihuka Shark Dive operator charged with attempted murder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting!!! :popcorn:
I have my doubts about the whole thing - as in what really happened. I am sure there was an underwater encounter/scuffle. It is easy to claim someone tried to turn your air off when you are competing for the same business and once a story like this gets out it becomes waay bigger than it truly was. My guess is there was some pushing and shoving at most, alot of finger pointing, and in order to save face a police report was filed. Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

Isn't it also true that Willie worked for Waihuka between Las Rocas and Sueno del Mar? Hummmm the plot thickens...

I've heard the following (with minor differences) from several usually trustworthy island sources...

On January 14 Mirabella followed the Sueño boat to Insidious, made several threatening maneuvers with his boat, followed the divers underwater, attacked a female American tourist, and tried to turn off her air valve.

DeBeer intervened, stopping the attack. A brief underwater fight occurred, Mirabella filed a false police report against DeBeer. The entire incident was captured on video, the prosecuting attorney filed attempted murder charges against Mirabella after watching the video. Mirabella is currently on some kind of conditional release until a hearing is scheduled.

JayT

I've heard the following (with minor differences) from several usually trustworthy island sources...

On January 14 Mirabella followed the Sueño boat to Insidious, made several threatening maneuvers with his boat, followed the divers underwater, attacked a female American tourist, and tried to turn off her air valve.

DeBeer intervened, stopping the attack. A brief underwater fight occurred, Mirabella filed a false police report against DeBeer. The entire incident was captured on video, the prosecuting attorney filed attempted murder charges against Mirabella after watching the video. Mirabella is currently on some kind of conditional release until a hearing is scheduled.

JayT

JayT - you are doing nothing but spreading rumors. You weren't there, just telling what was told to you second hand or maybe even third hand. Let's all wait and see what happens with the investigation.

I will back Jay up on this. I was on the island the day this happened and talked to some reliable people the night of. The story Jay has posted is almost verbatim to what I heard. I mean come on, if it is on video and the DA has pressed charges I think it is likely there is some teeth to this story. I will be in Roatan next week and will see if I can find any articles in the local periodico.
There is no doubt in my mind that this incident took place.

Bruce

The story Jay has posted is almost verbatim to what I heard.

So, you mean... what? CDNN got it wrong?

The horror. :coolingoff:

So, you mean... what? CDNN got it wrong?

The horror. :coolingoff:

I just won't believe it. Next you are going to try and tell me they KNOWINGLY printed inaccurate information :D.

Who here is disputing the CDN report? Robin jumped on Jay for his comments. I believe that is what happened, as it it the exact story I heard from someone close to the incident. Not sure how swift the Honduran judicial system is, but I suppose we will know the facts soon enough. I am surprised that someone who was actually on that dive has not chimed in here yet.

Bruce

Who here is disputing the CDN report? Robin jumped on Jay for his comments. I believe that is what happened, as it it the exact story I heard from someone close to the incident. Not sure how swift the Honduran judicial system is, but I suppose we will know the facts soon enough. I am surprised that someone who was actually on that dive has not chimed in here yet.

Bruce

I didn't jump on Jay. All I said is that he is just spreading rumors at this point. He is just repeating what has been said before. He wasn't there, he doesn't know for sure, he is just taking someone else's words as gospel.
I have no dog in this fight, I am totally out of this, don't know any of the parties at all, never did the shark dive.... I just think that hashing this over and over does nothing to help. Let's wait and see what the investigation comes up with.

Fair enough. I may have gotten the impression you did have dog in the fight. Enjoy Coz.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom