Wahooooo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyMelton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished my OW dives!! Thanks so much to everyone out there that has posted, I have referenced the boards several times and found answers to my questions.

We dove in a quarry, pretty cool, and it is a PADI resort. They have released paddlefish in the quarry in a program with the Tennessee Aquarium. I didn't see any, but saw lots of big cats and trout and bass.

The water was 57 degrees and it was warmer in the water than out. Deepest was 59' and longest bottom time was 26 min. It was very "freaky" on the first descent. I had to really get control of myself. I guess it was the whole experience, no bottom, no safety of the pool, 20' plus of water above my head. It really took some slow deep breathing not to rush back to the surface. By the third dive, everything was cool. The mask clearing and removal were the hardest skills to perform, I had no problem with them in the warm pool of the LDS, but in that cold water, It was the shock factor. I wasn't expecting that. Buoyancy control is, well it is what it is, if you know what I mean. I got better, but I swim like a novice diver! Hope that will go away very soon.

Spent last night pouring over the boards about anxiety and it really helped to read that others had the same thoughts that I did and the cold water mask thing wasn't so much me as it was the reaction to the cold water on my face.

The most exciting thing was fulfilling a life long dream and actually being comfortable under the water. Can't wait for St. Thomas and Bonaire in February!!!

Congratulations, and well done! The sea awaits you! :)

-----

Mike.

Excellent! Congratulations!

There is nothing quite like that feeling of knowing that you can control your fear and natural instinct and do what you have been trained to do. I hope diving continues to give you that thrill for years to come.

BTW, Gilboa quarry in Ohio has paddlefish too. It's freaky to see one of those in fresh water when you aren't expecting it.

Congratulations!

Good job making the certification dives locally in November. That will prepare you for local frequent diving. Just pick a few things, like buoyancy to concentrate on during each dive. Have fun but be a little focused.

I love Sunday nights around here, so many dreams coming true.

Now go update your profile!

Pete

Congrats on getting certified... Look up for Paddlefish everytime I have seen them they are about 10 feet from the surface.

Congratulations. WTG !

Congratulations on your OW certification and welcome to the :sblogo:

Congratulations. Its a whole world to explore under there.. Infact, its more world down there than up here :p

Congrats and all that. Welcome along:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom