Vytec bad tank pressure readings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
We just got back from Bonaire where we had an interesting problem with one of out AI Vytecs. Late in the dive, typically with around 1200psi, it started giving erratic pressure readings, normally displaying something around 700psi (resulting in lots of alarm conditions). It would then revert back to the 'correct' value. This never happened early in the dive. We checked our codes and they were 15 and 36 so it was unlikely to be interference and there was no low battery or other error condition indicated.

IF it stays like this it is not a huge deal. At that stage of the dive the 'can I still breath?' rule works fine but the alarm is a bit of a shock and it does reduce confidence a little. The battery is old so I will change it despite the lack of low battery alarm and I am considering (unenthusiastically) a backup gauge.

Any similar experiences? Any ideas?

Thanks

While I don't (and won't) ever use a Sunnto, I'd still HIGHLY suggest a 'hosed' SPG for backup on ANY reg set and can't imagine diving without such backup, ESPECIALLY with a 'wireless' AI computer. I'd never trust any computer that started exhibiting such erratic behavior, given the potentially severe consequences. Last summer I sent back to the manufacturer (Oceanic) a pair of Datamax Pro Pluses for reasons less severe than your units are exhibiting. (one had stripped battery compartment screws which I couldn't remove myself, the other unit was just reading around 250 PSI 'low' --relative to all my other computers/SPG's--so I wanted it recalibrated by the manufacturer. While some people might consider a 'low reading' computer a safety benefit, I actually find that behavior highly annoying !!! The bill for the checkout/overhaul was $ 160 per unit (Scubatoys handled the shipping/etc). I have no idea how much the Sunnto repair/investigation will cost you, but I'd go that route 1st rather than spend big $ on a spendy trip and get to borrow a cheesy low buck local rental reg/computer 'on site'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom