Vyper w/ DM5, rarely connects and very strange depth readings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
99% of the time it starts to download, disconnects and retries. It has worked a total of one time. And in the logs the depth chart looks like an EKG. Sub surface works perfectly every time so I may have to go that route and learn the software. Anyone experience this? I am running win 8 64 bit and have tried multiple USB ports thinking maybe that was the issue. the driver is unsigned but I assumed if that was an issue Subsurface would fail also. This is the customidea cable NOT the suunto but I doubt it would make that much of a difference. Anyone know if their is an updated firmware for the Suunto Vyper that may help w/ this?

Failing that, does anyone know if Subsurface can display OLF? Also noticed it shows all my dives on air when many are on nitrox setting and that is one of the things that DM5 actually displays correctly.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Suunto doesn't update their firmware. never.
the cable is the problem.
it's easy to check the brand/model.
signed Suunto, works.
unsigned, doesn't work.
my Suunto serial doesn't work with DM5, my Suunto USB works.
both work with Subsurface.

Subsurface doesn't display OLF, which is Suunto specific.
Subsurface shows SNC and OTU, and when you swapped gas.
recommanded.

Thanks. Oddly the cable works fine w/ the Vyper and subsurface every time. With DM5 it picks and chooses when to work and when it does it doesn't pull data properly. Not sure why that is but I'll deal with it. Within subsurface there is an extra data tab which I assumed that it would pull any data it could not categorize and let me see it there at least since it's all logged in the Vyper memory. Stuff like OLF and the like.

this is what the subsurface manual states for that tab
When using a dive computer, it often reports several data items that cannot easily be presented in a standardised way because the nature of the information differs from one dive computer to another. These data often comprise setup information, metadata about a dive, battery levels, no fly times, or gradient factors used during the dive. When possible, this information is presented in the Extra Datatab. Below is an image showing extra data for a dive using a Poseidon rebreather.

Hatul, I searched for both dm3 and dm4 with no luck. Any idea where I can find them?

Dave

---------- Post added December 15th, 2014 at 01:18 PM ----------

Hatul, I searched for both dm3 and dm4 with no luck. Any idea where I can find them?

Dave

Edit

actually seems to be user error w/ DM3. I was trying to use the wizard which wouldn't work properly. Went down to the computer and connected that way and it cooperated. Now to see which I like better, DM3 or sub surface.

One oddity though, it seems that the temp displays properly on the gauge to the right until you start to play the dive and then it goes to 32. Anyone experience this?

Dave

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom