Vyper - NOT in gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I dive with a Vyper. Normally in guage mode. My question is why must it be in guage mode?

For those who own this product, you'll know that the logging has some enhanced information when the computer is used in it's normal mode. I'd really like to have that info in my logs. It will also track CNS and OTUs when used in nitrox mode.

It seems to me, the decision is whether or not to rely on the NDL information in the computer, as that is not in keeping with the DIR mindset. Does anyone see anything wrong with actually using this thing in nitrox mode but diving it to the tables?

Second question, would it be against DIR thinking to use the NDL information as a "bailout"? For instance, assume I have planned a 90 dive on EAN32 to 75ft. I do the dive, but because of an issue, I bail at 60 minutes. Normally, I wouldn't cut tables with that wide a lattitude for under/over. At that point, would it be taboo to rely on the computer's deco info? If the computer failed, I could always use the original deco schedule. But it might be nice to get out of the water a bit sooner. This, of course, assumes that the Vyper would give a deco profile I'd agree with in the first place, and I've never tested it for doing a real deco dive. I could run a simulation I suppose and see what it came up with versus VPlanner.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Not sure what "extra?" info t logs, but

CNS = Bottom Time/2 + Deco Time on 50% /2 and
OTU = BT*1.5 + DT *1.5

seem pretty easy to do in your head.

for a 90 min runtime at those depths, you are going to be in mandatory deco (which I dont think you are trained for?) and I definitely would NOT rely on the computer for "bailout" -- rely on your own profiles stored in your head and your team.

If you are the one running deco (even min deco) take an easy dive and either miss a stop or make a stop 1 minute too long. If your team doesn't alert you, you need to talk to them ...

PerroneFord:
This sounds easy. And for open water it is. However, this is not as easy in caves as they may force you to descend 25ft before they exit. So you could do a 100ft profile, turn your dive, ascend to 40ft, then redescend to 60ft, then 20ft, then 30ft, then have an OW ascent to the surface.

-P

That's why you take GUE cave class :)
In this case you have to use some kind of depth averaging, and if the cave really goes up & down that much, you really need to know what you are doing gas planning-wise and deco wise.

And there's another issue with Vyper in computer mode that I came across. Due to increase battery consumption in that mode you can get sudden reset if you have some alarms set. At that moment you loose all info about current dive and it starts like you've descended that moment. I know that several conditions have to be fullfiled for this to happen but that's something that happened to me few years ago and I'm aware of few similar cases. Advice: turn alarms off, switch to gauge mode.

MonkSeal:
And there's another issue with Vyper in computer mode that I came across. Due to increase battery consumption in that mode you can get sudden reset if you have some alarms set. At that moment you loose all info about current dive and it starts like you've descended that moment. I know that several conditions have to be fullfiled for this to happen but that's something that happened to me few years ago and I'm aware of few similar cases. Advice: turn alarms off, switch to gauge mode.

Surely for that to happen you started the dive with a medium - low or low battery indicator? Which is clearly shown on the display.
Given the cheap cost and ease of changing the Vyper battery there's no excuse for not starting the dive with a battery in good condition.

miketsp:
Surely for that to happen you started the dive with a medium - low or low battery indicator? Which is clearly shown on the display.
Given the cheap cost and ease of changing the Vyper battery there's no excuse for not starting the dive with a battery in good condition.
No, it was almost new battery (less then 2 months and approx. 15 dives).

lamont:
...IMO, set your computer into gauge mode becuase you've outgrown the thing, not because someone told you it was the Right thing to do.
Agreed. I purchased an aladin tec and put it into guage mode right away because... well... that's why I purchased it. And I like the screen better in that mode. And I'm still a rookie at all of this (a year out of DIRf). I like using my head rather than relying on the computer (but that's me). It makes me feel more comfortable and MDL and GUE stops are pretty simple to figure out. We're not launching the shuttle hear, just figuring out some time.

But I have been using my Oceanic Atom as a backup backup (I have a cit hyper aqualand as backup until my second aladin tec arrives) and I did not put it into guage mode. I only got pushed into deco once on the atom. I didn't know it because it is in my pocket with alarms turned off. When I downloaded the log I noticed it. But I did run it all of the time in computer mode before the aladin tec purchase two or three months ago. Never had much issue with it and it was sort of like training wheels on a bike. Made me feel just a little bit safer for some reason... but I'm over that now.

Chris

MonkSeal:
No, it was almost new battery (less then 2 months and approx. 15 dives).

That doesn't mean anything. I finished off my 1st battery in that sort of time frame simply by not rinsing and drying the contacts properly after each dive. Often I was just shaking off the water and popping it into a plastic case for protection until I got home and could wash it properly.
As a result the salt was maintaining the computer in dive mode and I started to notice that AC (Active Contacts) was still showing on the display.
Nowadays I always rinse the contacts with some fresh water after each dive and try to dry them properly.
You have to make sure that the AC display disappears otherwise battery consumption remains high.

miketsp:
That doesn't mean anything. I finished off my 1st battery in that sort of time frame simply by not rinsing and drying the contacts properly after each dive. Often I was just shaking off the water and popping it into a plastic case for protection until I got home and could wash it properly.
As a result the salt was maintaining the computer in dive mode and I started to notice that AC (Active Contacts) was still showing on the display.
Nowadays I always rinse the contacts with some fresh water after each dive and try to dry them properly.
You have to make sure that the AC display disappears otherwise battery consumption remains high.
It means in my case. I always rinse and dry computer after diving day. I always check battery status before dive. The same battery has continued to work more then one year after reset failure.

PerroneFord:
It will also track CNS and OTUs when used in nitrox mode.
PerroneFord:
I'll be spending time about 20ft on oxygen
Since the Vyper doesn't track gas switches, wouldn't going on a 70ft or 20ft bottle make the CNS and OTU info incorrect?

I dove a stinger for a long time in computer mode; using it as backup to my dive... dive my dive, then when I'm ready to surface; verify that the computer is on the same page.

I did that until the computer and my dives were no longer on the same page. If you're doing gas switches; then it's likely you and the computer will -not- be on the same page for every long.

Dive it in computer mode until you personally decide that you don't want it to be anymore. Just don't -dive- the computer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom