Vyper - NOT in gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with using the Vytec and I assume the Vyper in normal mode is that the computer needs the nitrox percentage reset for each dive or it goes back to air tables. Now your readings are pretty much useless unless you enter the approprite info before each dive . The last thing I need is one more thing to do before entering the water.

I used to think diving the computer set to air while using EAN 32 was more conservative. But then last year on a second dive the computer started beeping and indicated a ceiling. Of course this ceiling was based on faulty info. Now this info became unnerving and innacurate leaving me with only my battlefield calcs anyway. I put it back in gauge mode and left it there ever since.

Of course none of us will tell on you if your computer displays a bit of extra info.

Yes, the comp needs to be reset to nitrox mode or have its FO2 set before dives, but it doesn't revert for quite some time after the dive. I'll have to verify that, but I read it last night in the manual.

Really, the only info it gives me in the logging department is my mix but I have a feeling I'll start copying my profile from V-Planner into my log anyway.

I may try a few dives with it in that mode and see what it gives me.

Thanks all.

PerroneFord:
Yes, the comp needs to be reset to nitrox mode or have its FO2 set before dives, but it doesn't revert for quite some time after the dive.
..snip..

Quote from manual:

"NOTE! The computer will automatically revert to
the air (21% O2) setting when a new dive series is
started, if it is not set to any other mix during the
last two hours."

"Dive series: A group of repetitive dives between which the dive
computer indicates some nitrogen loading is
present."

I'm not grossly overconcerned with seconds on my computer display. If I really want them, I can read my dive watch. But on real deco dives, I'll be spending time about 20ft on oxygen anyway, which should more than negate a few seconds here and there in the profile on the way up.

miketsp:
Sounds like you're at the default max O2 PP of 1.4. This is adjustable from 1.2 - 1.6 under the user settings menu.

another thing about the vyper is that if you hit a 1.4 ppO2 it starts to punish you at some arbitrarily higher rate on the O2 clock, even if you've shut off the little beeping alarm, so the data you get out will not be accurate.

PerroneFord:
For those who own this product, you'll know that the logging has some enhanced information when the computer is used in it's normal mode. I'd really like to have that info in my logs.
What enhanced information do you think off? If you think about tissue saturation I don't think there's any value on that. It's just a model approximation that means nothing.

It will also track CNS and OTUs when used in nitrox mode.
This can be easily tracked without it.

It seems to me, the decision is whether or not to rely on the NDL information in the computer, as that is not in keeping with the DIR mindset. Does anyone see anything wrong with actually using this thing in nitrox mode but diving it to the tables?
It starts to display info that you don't need (ceiling, asc time) instead info you need. It destructs you from what's important.

Second question, would it be against DIR thinking to use the NDL information as a "bailout"? For instance, assume I have planned a 90 dive on EAN32 to 75ft. I do the dive, but because of an issue, I bail at 60 minutes. Normally, I wouldn't cut tables with that wide a lattitude for under/over. At that point, would it be taboo to rely on the computer's deco info? If the computer failed, I could always use the original deco schedule. But it might be nice to get out of the water a bit sooner. This, of course, assumes that the Vyper would give a deco profile I'd agree with in the first place, and I've never tested it for doing a real deco dive. I could run a simulation I suppose and see what it came up with versus VPlanner.
Everything that lies inside MDL is better to ascend using minimum deco rules. For anything that lies outside MDL computer is of no use at all.

For example: Few days ago I made a 33 min BT at average depth 100' (which is inside MDL for EAN32) and I made mininum deco (stop at 80% ATA, 10'/min ascend + 3@20' and 3@10'). After dive the guys I was leading told me that according to their computers (Vyper and some Mares) we had some more deco to do but they followed me. After 1 hour (and few minutes) of SI we made the same dive and I extended shallow to 4 to 5 min each and thumbed the dive. They refused to surface showing me 9 and 12 (Vyper) deco obligation. I left them hanging to clear their computers and to be monitored by dive master and surfaced. They stayed at 10' for 15 minutes because after initial 12 min had elapsed Vyper (according to DM) was still showing 3 minutes more.

I kept my Vyper in computer mode for a long time. Honestly I don't agree with most of the GUE objections over computers when used recreationally. I turned mine into gauge mode only specifically after I'd basically been diving without the NDL info all the time (habitually forgetting to set it to 32%) and it was annoying me.

When you're diving it normally its just a single number on the display. If that single number on the display causes you to switch your mind off completely and follow it on autopilot, then you have a problem which setting the computer to gauge mode probably will not solve. And I don't follow the whole argument about how its so distracting to have it on -- but I'm used to playing FPS games where I'm trying to avoid enemy fire while picking off enemies or shooting down helicopters with SAM rockets and I guess have fairly honed skills at avoiding flashy junk that isn't mission critical...

IMO, set your computer into gauge mode becuase you've outgrown the thing, not because someone told you it was the Right thing to do.

This sounds easy. And for open water it is. However, this is not as easy in caves as they may force you to descend 25ft before they exit. So you could do a 100ft profile, turn your dive, ascend to 40ft, then redescend to 60ft, then 20ft, then 30ft, then have an OW ascent to the surface.

-P

MonkSeal:
Everything that lies inside MDL is better to ascend using minimum deco rules. For anything that lies outside MDL computer is of no use at all.

For example: Few days ago I made a 33 min BT at average depth 100' (which is inside MDL for EAN32) and I made mininum deco (stop at 80% ATA, 10'/min ascend + 3@20' and 3@10'). After dive the guys I was leading told me that according to their computers (Vyper and some Mares) we had some more deco to do but they followed me. After 1 hour (and few minutes) of SI we made the same dive and I extended shallow to 4 to 5 min each and thumbed the dive. They refused to surface showing me 9 and 12 (Vyper) deco obligation. I left them hanging to clear their computers and to be monitored by dive master and surfaced. They stayed at 10' for 15 minutes because after initial 12 min had elapsed Vyper (according to DM) was still showing 3 minutes more.

lamont:
IMO, set your computer into gauge mode becuase you've outgrown the thing, not because someone told you it was the Right thing to do.

Interestingly, I didn't buy a computer (with a display) until I had about 35 dives. So I was used to diving tables. Guage mode works fine for me. Just pondering some additional options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom