Vyper - NOT in gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dive with a Vyper. Normally in guage mode. My question is why must it be in guage mode?

For those who own this product, you'll know that the logging has some enhanced information when the computer is used in it's normal mode. I'd really like to have that info in my logs. It will also track CNS and OTUs when used in nitrox mode.

It seems to me, the decision is whether or not to rely on the NDL information in the computer, as that is not in keeping with the DIR mindset. Does anyone see anything wrong with actually using this thing in nitrox mode but diving it to the tables?

Second question, would it be against DIR thinking to use the NDL information as a "bailout"? For instance, assume I have planned a 90 dive on EAN32 to 75ft. I do the dive, but because of an issue, I bail at 60 minutes. Normally, I wouldn't cut tables with that wide a lattitude for under/over. At that point, would it be taboo to rely on the computer's deco info? If the computer failed, I could always use the original deco schedule. But it might be nice to get out of the water a bit sooner. This, of course, assumes that the Vyper would give a deco profile I'd agree with in the first place, and I've never tested it for doing a real deco dive. I could run a simulation I suppose and see what it came up with versus VPlanner.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I kept on forgetting to put mine to 32% before every dive and I finally bent it one time when it was diving 21% and I was diving 32% and I didn't feel like clearing it out of deco which was the big reason for me.

It also tends to punish you a lot on reverse profiles or if you cross over a hair into deco and you'll get the warning symbol that you need to do an extra long surface interval -- even if you've done deep stops and spent a lot of time shallow and are much cleaner than your average rec diver doing 3@15 on 21% after riding the NDL up....

There's also other minor annoyances like the way it adds 1% to the O2 calculation and beeps at you incessantly at 107 fsw on 32% dives.

Packhorse:
When in computer mode does it "lock out" under certain situations like other computers?

It locks out to guage mode.. which is what I would be in anyway without doing this.

Thanks Lamont, I'll try to keep that stuff in mind. Most of my dives right now are freshwater springs on 32% with single tank divers. So running 30-45 minute profiles above 80ft.

When I head out with the rebreather guys, I'll be getting some 90 minute to 2 hour profiles and I am very curious to see how it does.

If you just want the downloadable information, then it doesnt matter if you lock it out because it goes into guage mode anyway.
I have to admit I never downloaded mine so I dont know if it still gives you that info if you lock it out. I presume it does.

lamont:
There's also other minor annoyances like the way it adds 1% to the O2 calculation and beeps at you incessantly at 107 fsw on 32% dives.
Can you not turn the alarm off? I seem to remember having a go at mine once and from then on it only beeped, and once only, when I went into deco.

lamont:
..snip..

Sounds like you're at the default max O2 PP of 1.4. This is adjustable from 1.2 - 1.6 under the user settings menu.

I use the vytec in guage mode. Does the vyper count in seconds when in guage mode? That is one feature I like about it. Mike Kane wrote a great post here about the 120 and 20% rules. Use that and you won't need a bailout computer. Unless your brain stops working. :) I'll see if I can find the link.

I don't think it actually matters whether you use it in computer mode or gauge mode. I believe the big deal is not relying on the information that the computer is giving you. You should have a good idea of what your deco profile is like without having the computer tell you. As lamont said, the in computer mode it may punish you with unneeded deco profiles because it may not know how to incorporate deep stops and slower ascents from 20 feet to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom