Vyper impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I dive my first dive with the Suunto Vyper yesterday. Some things I liked, some I didn't. First the dislikes.

I'm not real comfortable with their deco algorythm. The dive was to a max depth of 160 fsw, 20 minute bottom time, on air. Although it got me out of the water in about the same total time as the tables I cut with V-planner did (although v-planner took my deco gasses into account where Vyper can't so Vyper time would have been shorter if I couldn't take the deco gasses into account on the software) it (Vyper) wanted me to do almost all my deco at 15 fsw. It's a long haul at 15' with the Vyper on this profile!

Another bad was that bubbles kept getting caught under the plastic shield over the guage face. Admittidly I was at the top of the "deco stack" so I had the exhaust of 10 divers coming up on me so this wouldn't likely be a problem on most dives. Annoying though in this situation. At first I thought the puter had flooded!

Now, what I do like. The guage mode is a great feature and is what I had planned to generally use but I wanted to test it's algorythm on a fairly moderate dive profile. I WILL be using guage mode on any further air or EANx deco dives because I would rather do deeper stops.

Most impressive is the PC interface. I was able to download my dive data simply and in a very nice format.

Overall it's a nice unit but I really can't recommend doing deco dives in it's "modes other than guage".

Tom

Nice review....

Would you use it as a "basic" 1 mix nitrox computer? Or are you not likely to dive that profile?

Originally posted by TexasMike
Nice review....

Would you use it as a "basic" 1 mix nitrox computer? Or are you not likely to dive that profile?

Yes, I would definately use it for that sort of dive provided I was not planning decompression. It would be great for standard recreational air or nitrox diving. The only real issue for me was the deco stop behavior.

Tom

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Tom... what is a deco stack and how can it be avoided?

That's what I call it when you're the first guy headed up and the rest of the divers are stacked on the ascent line below you.

It can be avoided by shooting a bag but on charters they want everyone to do the same thing of course. It can be partially avoided by using a jon-line but someone else will use one too and.....

Generally is only a problem on low current dives of course.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter

That's what I call it when you're the first guy headed up and the rest of the divers are stacked on the ascent line below you.

It can be avoided by shooting a bag but on charters they want everyone to do the same thing of course. It can be partially avoided by using a jon-line but someone else will use one too and.....

Tom

I know how you feel.. I'm a CCR diver so any bubbles annoy me.. I have resulted in using TWO jon lines to get away from the crowd.. The first time I didn't realize I had a second one with me until I went to use it.. I figured what the heck its worth a try... I was able to get about 12 feet away from the line... It was great...
I've only done this a few times, but I was happy to do it...

I've been using a Vyper for about a year. I have to agree with everything Tom said, especially about its deco functions.

What really annoys me is that in gauge mode the important information is too small and in the wrong place. It seems like only a small fraction of the usable screen space is used for depth and time. The rest is either blank or occupied by the automatic safety stop (even in gauge mode), which takes up the entire center of the screen.

If it wasn't for the PC download I'd have a Uwatec BT. I'm not sure if it was worth the extra money yet. If I did it again I might get the Uwatec.

I replaced that plastic shield with the clear film that is sold for the screens on Uwatec AirXs. Works well and fixes the bubble problem.

Originally posted by Munin
If it wasn't for the PC download I'd have a Uwatec BT. I'm not sure if it was worth the extra money yet. If I did it again I might get the Uwatec.

I use both.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Low or no current how about you just move to the side or at least away from the line?

In a current dive hanging on a line the bubbles will be swept away.

Originally posted by Munin
What really annoys me is that in gauge mode the important information is too small and in the wrong place.
Exactly.

Stinger numerals are small but the important center section can be switched to a count up timer for deco when in gauge mode...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom