Vyper Air tank pressure display

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalSwami

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having recently logged my first (and only dive) on my new Vyper Air with Transmitter I was excited about air integration and being able to see my tank pressure with out reaching for the SPG. Overall the default view is easy to read and understand which is great, but I found it strange I needed to press the 'Down' button 3 times in order to see the tank pressure, something I was not expecting. I feel like tank pressure is more valuable to me than the 02% because unless I'm gas switching, the 02% won't be changing during the dive. What was the thinking behind showing the 02% as the default value?

I wonder is it possible to show the tank pressure as the default value instead of 02% ?

In a slightly related question, the 02% value (32% in this case) was blinking the whole dive, is that normal?

vyper_air_tank_pressure.jpg

I am very interested in this as well. I am currently trying to decide between the Zoop and Vyper Air, and if what you're asking is not an option, I will likely take the less expensive route. Thanks for bringing this up.

SoCalSwami,

Please check and see if you have your 2nd gas mix turned on in the nitrox settings. Also, please let me know what your p02 is set at. Once you originally toggle your view to the air pressure in dive mode that should stay your default view, unless you encounter a gas switch alarm or a depth alarm.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

SoCalSwami,

Please check and see if you have your 2nd gas mix turned on in the nitrox settings. Also, please let me know what your p02 is set at. Once you originally toggle your view to the air pressure in dive mode that should stay your default view, unless you encounter a gas switch alarm or a depth alarm.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Chris, Per your questions, the answer is Yes to both. I had turned on Mix2 and set to 21% and both gases were set to 1.4 po2.

I had the depth alarm turned on and set to 100fsw. My max depth for the dive was 106', and the DM4 log indicates I had a depth alarm go off.

Sounds to me like I'm suffering from a classic case of first time user error.
From ncadiver's dig at my EA skills, he understood that the flashing 32% indicated I had exceeded the MOD for my po2 setting.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

No worries, I am here to help in any way possible with the Suunto dive products. I have attached a section from the user manual that I think will give you some insight on your mix % blinking. Also, if you have a depth alarm set, once you surpass that depth your current view of your tank pressure will switch to the current max depth and will blink. This will prompt you with an audible alarm as well as activating the backlight. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Mix Alarm.jpg

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Chris,

Thanks for the help in clearing up my tank pressure display question.

As a follow up question, is there a way to see the current MOD during the dive (for example if p02 is set to 1.4 and 02 is 32%)?

The user manual indicates, "When Nitrox mode is activated...the maximum operational depth is calculated based on set 02% and p02 values." but I am missing a mention on how to verify/view the MOD during the dive.

The user manual indicates that during the dive you can see the following alternate screens:
Alt Display 1
02%
Max Depth
Tank Pressure
Current Time

Alt Display 2
p02
OLF
Dive Time
Water Temperature

Thanks in advance.

No it does not it just set off an alarm when you get close to your MOD.

No it does not it just set off an alarm when you get close to your MOD.

Chris,

If NCdiver's statment is true, then vyper air computer requires me to memorize the MOD when the computer is activated? Seems like an bit of information that would be useful during the dive.

That said, I guess this is not so unusual as my Nitek Duo does not show my MOD during the dive.

I'd like to request and enhancement that the MOD be shown during the dive rather than the current solution of waiting until the alarm goes off. I would be willing to sacrifice the OLF display and use an alarm to indicate if oxygen limits have been exceeded.

Thanks,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom