VT3 Retractor Mount - what a mission!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my VT3 this week and I love the computer - excellent display and really easy to use once I figured everything out. It's my first piece of Oceanic equipment and I am definitely really happy with the computer :)
My one irritation is the retractor mount - I cannot get my head around how poorly designed the entire thing is. I bought it with the intention of swapping it between straps and retractor depending on the type of diving I was doing. I've now come to realize that this is a lost cause because I cannot even initially mount it. After finally figuring out how to remove the wrist straps (after searching on this forum - this should really be in the manual somewhere) I managed to get one side on the retractor using the spring pins but could not get the other one on. After trying for several minutes, I gave up since my hand was too sore to push any harder in an attempt to align the pins with the holes (and I was really afraid of damaging something). Is there a method I should be using to accomplish this? I think this accessory should really be re-designed so this can be done more efficiently - I can think of so many better ways it could mount to the bracket that it baffles me no one else has. A quick-release of some sort would be great since it only took me a few seconds to put the straps back on.

thanks for your help

Call Oceanic -

They are very responsive (unlike some others).

I'm sure you'll get some good responses from here as well, I just wanted you to know that Oceanic will really talk to you and try their best to help you out.

Drdaddy

I just got my VT3 this week and I love the computer - excellent display and really easy to use once I figured everything out. It's my first piece of Oceanic equipment and I am definitely really happy with the computer :)
My one irritation is the retractor mount - I cannot get my head around how poorly designed the entire thing is. I bought it with the intention of swapping it between straps and retractor depending on the type of diving I was doing. I've now come to realize that this is a lost cause because I cannot even initially mount it. After finally figuring out how to remove the wrist straps (after searching on this forum - this should really be in the manual somewhere) I managed to get one side on the retractor using the spring pins but could not get the other one on. After trying for several minutes, I gave up since my hand was too sore to push any harder in an attempt to align the pins with the holes (and I was really afraid of damaging something). Is there a method I should be using to accomplish this? I think this accessory should really be re-designed so this can be done more efficiently - I can think of so many better ways it could mount to the bracket that it baffles me no one else has. A quick-release of some sort would be great since it only took me a few seconds to put the straps back on.

thanks for your help

It is a total PITA to do this installation!!! Been there, done that twice...there doesn't seem to be a trick, just persistance and lining it up properly.

yeah, I know Oceanic has great service - I just wish the mount was actually what I was hoping for and I could easily switch between wrist and retractor. I think the way it is now, I'll keep it on my wrist and just use the mount for the compass. I'll be diving on a liveaboard in 2 weeks, so we'll see how it goes out there.

yeah, I know Oceanic has great service - I just wish the mount was actually what I was hoping for and I could easily switch between wrist and retractor. I think the way it is now, I'll keep it on my wrist and just use the mount for the compass. I'll be diving on a liveaboard in 2 weeks, so we'll see how it goes out there.

I always dive with my computer(s) on my wrists(s). I have my Oceanic on my right and my backup Suunto on my left.

There are certain characteristics that I prefer on each. For instance, I like the ability to turn on the light for a longer time on the Suunto, but I like the "countdown" feature for my safety stop on my Oceanic. But mostly, I just don't want any computer failure without a backup when I'm doing a series of dives.

I love my VT3 and purchased the retractor mount to clip onto my BC. I cannot believe the poor design of the mount. I had no trouble removing the straps, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to attach the computer. I called Oceanic and, as usual, their customer service was outstanding. However, I was totally not understanding what I was being instructed to do. Truth is, I don't think the tech rep understood how it was mounted on the unit he had. He had in front of him one that was already mounted and seemed a bit perplexed as to how it was attached.
If anyone can walk me through attaching the computer, or has instructions, pictures, etc, I would greatly appreciate it. I already decided I'll keep the computer on my wrist, but want to see how it attaches to the retractor mount......just because.....

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom