VT100 this saturday (sept 29th 2007), welcome to join me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Two of my buddies has been harping on me to take them to the VT100 and finally I am going to take them this saturday. We will probably get there around 9am or so. Plan to do a little crabbing. If you are free and don't mind meeting new people, feel free to come along.

First dive will definitely be the VT100, depending on number of crabs caught, condition, visibility or current. The second dive could be VT100 again or Belcarra bay, Whiskey cove or Sassamat lake. Either way, my buddies and I are planning to do two dives.

I would love to but I am sick, sinus cold. :(

I would love to but I am sick, sinus cold. :(

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't roll out of bed in the morning with your gear packed from the night before expecting to go diving only to find out you have the most stuffed up nose. So stuffed in fact that the snot is like portland cement. Oh, the angush and injustice that life throws at us.

Hope you get better soon!!

What would you find in Bedwell Bay? Red Rock or Dungeness?

Also, are you good at finding the VT100? I have never dove it.

What would you find in Bedwell Bay? Red Rock or Dungeness?

Also, are you good at finding the VT100? I have never dove it.

In Bedwell bed you have both rock crabs and dungeness. There are a lot of other stuff on and around the wreck itself.

If you have got mad hands, you could try catching shrimps. I had this DIY net thing for them but it broke. Don't have time yet to design and built a new one yet. If you have a speargun, Hawaiian sling or polespears. You can take rock fish, surf perch or greenlings. No ling cods, not because there are any there but because Vancouver is in area 28 of DFO zones and DFO does not allow retention of lings here.

Sea cucumbers are available too, don't know how to cook fresh ones so I have never harvested them before. In Chinese cooking, the sea cucumbers are dried then rehydrated prior to cooking. Don't know how to dry them either so I don't take them.

Just checked in my log book, I haven't dove there since 26th of July 2006. However I have been there numerous times before so I should be able to find it. There was one time when the visibility was really poor that I swam "into" it after searching around for 10minutes.

I found the below link for the VT100. Lots of great info but the location is a bit confused. The coordinates they give on this site put it on the beach and the chart shows it 130 meters off shore not 300 as stated in the article.

http://www.belcarra.ca/reports/Bedwell_Bay_Mystery_Wreck.pdf

I made the attached chart showing the two locations referenced in the article. One is on the beach as per the coordinates given and the other is 130 meters off shore as per the chart shown in the article. Does the second mark look like where it should be? The depth looks about right.

Not sure if I will make the dive this weekend but it would be nice to know how to find the thing. If anyone can give the shore dive entry point and bearings that would be great.

VT%20100%20Chart.jpg

The mark on the road is probably where the entry into the water is. Also the mark on the water looks about right.

If you park on the road look for a break in the treeline, there is a rough trail to a rocky beach, there is a rope tied to a tree that leads down. It is not very noticable, it is easier to look for the no parking signs on the gravel shoulder. There is a bit where you can park in front of that. Also there is a gated wooden stair to a dock, it is private and the owner doesn't allow divers to use the dock, the dock is probably the easiest thing to look for. Swim out towards a white buoy that is north from shore. Going down the buoy, head north north west. Keeping your depth at around 50 feet, you should be able to find the wreck. On the way you will pass over a few small boulders.

If I can, I will take some photos and post them but don't hold your breath on that. I don't like having to juggle a collection bag, dive lights, caliper plus a camera.

PS. One thing to watch out for is dog poo at this site, lots of people walk their dogs in the area and since the locals aren't going to be parking on the gravel shoulder they don't seem to care. If ladies need or require the use of facilities, keep driving until you reach Belcarra park, there are bathrooms there.

If you do decide to dive here, watch the tide, as there can be surface current. Boat traffic is another thing to keep an eye on, especially in the summer.

Oh and DeepDive, I just remember something. There are two wrecks in Bedwell Bay, one is the VT100, which is just a short distance out from the east side of the bay. There is another one on the other side of the bay, that is probably where you are getting the numbers for 150 and 300 from. I have never been to the other wreck and I don't even remember the name. I don't think you can dive it from shore, unless you want an epic surface swim or an even more epic hike with full scuba gear. From what I remember it is mostly a dive that is done by boat.

There is a book called 101 dives something or other in BC and Washington state. I think the book mentions this other wreck. That book is no longer printed but a newer version, the 151 something or other just came out. They have it at Chapters.

Have a good dive. Hope you gets lots of crabs.

I can't make the dive, maybe next time. My kids new dirt bike wouldn't start today so I promised to take him tomorrow before the rain hits. After 200 kicks and a sore foot I found out it only needs a new plug.

The other wreck on the western side is the Western Dispatcher, a former U.S. Navy vessel converted to a fish packer. It is a boat dive and my understanding is that there is not much left of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom