Vote on your preferred BC -

What BC style do you use or recommend most often (if you don't like the one you use)

• New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Long time member - use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes is tought to sort out the friendly "banter" that goes on between users on the board, trolling and honest questions... - fwiw I didn't think it was a troll, I wondered the same thing at one time, till it was explained to me about drysuits (how often do you see those things in the tropics after all?)

now . . . back to our regularly scheduled "banter" . . .

Aloha, Tim
P.S. this all kind of reminds me when my "mid-western" relatives get together and "discuss" the whole Ford or Chevy issue... personally I'll keep driving my Nissan - lol

With my BP/W I've been upside down, facing up (my favorite) and sideway. I have not noticed any difficulty manuvering with my gear, on the contrairy I think it has made me more comfortable underwater (much more control) durring my diving. You really need to do 2/3 dive with this setup, mind that it should be properly adjusted to your fit.

kidspot:
Sometimes is tought to sort out the friendly "banter" that goes on between users on the board, trolling and honest questions... - fwiw I didn't think it was a troll, I wondered the same thing at one time, till it was explained to me about drysuits (how often do you see those things in the tropics after all?)

now . . . back to our regularly scheduled "banter" . . .

Aloha, Tim
P.S. this all kind of reminds me when my "mid-western" relatives get together and "discuss" the whole Ford or Chevy issue... personally I'll keep driving my Nissan - lol
Yes i was probably a bit quick off the mark.

Personally i am never buying a Nissan again, my current one is always in the shop for something related to the steering or electronics.... Next is going to be a truck to carry all my dive gear :wink:

simbrooks:
Personally i am never buying a Nissan again, my current one is always in the shop for something related to the steering or electronics.... Next is going to be a truck to carry all my dive gear :wink:

If it's a divemobile you want, check out the Honda Element. It's great for stowing dive gear, rinses down easily ... and with gas prices heading thru the roof your budget will thank you ... :wink:

Besides which ... they're just plain fun to drive ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It will be interesting to compare this poll to the one I did back in November. Didn't have as many segments from which to choose, but the overall results were:

BP/W = 39.57%
Back Inflate = 31.74%
Jacket Style = 22.17%
Hybrid/Other = 6.52%

Kracken,

How many people voted in the poll you ran?

ScubaBoard states that it has 38.5k members, yet only 142 voted on in this poll.

This current survey, as it stands now:

16% of all who voted prefer Jacket BCs.

42.3% of all who voted prefer Back Inflate Style BCs.

41.5% of all who voted prefer a BP/W setup.

Interesting survey, but not at all what I would call a true representation of the overall dive industry.

Scott

I forget, Scott . . . I could look it up, but I seem to remember that there were only about 150 or so respondents.

I would never consider a poll taken here as a true sampling of the universal diving population.

From reading the posts, I would surmise that the ScubaBoard is comprised mainly of divers that take the sport more seriously than the average recreational diver and/or divers that plan to take their participation in the sport to a higher level.

I think a more accurate survey would be an individual's observation of the make up of the rigs that s/he sees in the respective diving venues.

The Kraken:
From reading the posts, I would surmise that the ScubaBoard is comprised mainly of divers that take the sport more seriously than the average recreational diver and/or divers that plan to take their participation in the sport to a higher level.

Yes, I would agree with that as well!

Damselfish:
I don't think I'm the only person this is heard from. BIs face planting people is often mentioned, then quickly put down as a fictional thing that doesn't really happen. Just maybe, sometimes it does...?

Yes, it does happen. Anyone who believes this to be 'fiction' is welcome to give me a call and we'll head over to my local diveshop's pool for a demo...if I rotate face-down, they owe me dinner at the Black Forest Inn.

The physics are straightforward: the BC is a lifting force, and it is a vertical vector up. The diver's mass and the rest of his gear (weightbelt, etc) gets expressed as a vertical vector down.

When the buoyancy vector and the mass vector are the same total magnitude, then the diver is neutrally bouyant.

However, this is not the only thing that's happening. We're also concerned about what we call 'trim'.

Unless these two vectors are also perfectly alligned on the same vertical axis, then the horizontal distance between the two of them creates a "Moment Arm" that is the source of a torque. This torque is trying to rotate the diver to the point where these two vectors are vertically alligned, with the cnter of buoyancy (CB) located directly over the center of gravity (CG)

The magnitude of the torque is: (Moment Arm length)*(Force magnitude).

Now if we have our gear well sorted out, we will have had minimized both these variables, so that the created torque will be small and thus, pragmatically negligible to the diver...hence, "good trim".

However...

First, we have two basic conditions: diver horizontal and diver vertical. Its easy to minimize the moment arm for ONE of these conditions...its a lot harder to keep it minimized for BOTH. Generally speaking, we tend to optimize trim for the horizontal postion. Unfortunately, the "face down" issue is for when the diver is vertical, usually after the dive...empty tanks, and regulator out.

Second, we also have a lot of diver-to-diver variation in gear selection that will influence things. Back Inflation is part of the example here, and tank selection can play a big part: a single AL80 will act very differently from dual Steels.

The bottom line is that the optimium rig depends a lot on your rig and what you're doing, and what you believe is important.

For example, my current rig is an easy rec configuration that includes a fairly negative UW camera system, and while its UW horizontal trim is fine, it has what I personally consider to have an unacceptable amount of "face down" torque in the vertical (surface) position, despite moving weights rearward to try to shift my CG to be closer to my CB. Overall, this undesirable torque is the additive effect of:
- BI BC (positive on rear)
- AL80 tank (positive on rear)
- my UW camera (negative on front)

And FWIW, its not that I can't manage the torque that my rig creates while on the surface after a dive...its that because it does take a non-zero amount of energy to counteract, and because I have been in situations where the seas didn't allow the "simply roll onto my back" resting position while the chase boat didn't find us for a half hour...my personal trade-off choice is that surviving the surface drift after the dive is a higher priority for me than mere 'trim' comfort during a dive...

[/uote]I've actually bought several pockets intended for harnesses and tried them on the strap but none of them have worked very well for one reason or another. I'm using the least objectionable of them currently. When I get around to it I'm going to make the perfect pocket...[/QUOTE]

Let me know what you find. The next step for me before selling this BI BC is to place a weight on the tank strap; I've already cleaned out my front WI pockets and filled the rear trim pockets, plus put the balance on a weightbelt that I put on the small of my back to try to move my CG rearward to be closer to my CB. I could ditching my UW camera, but that's not really an option IMO.

-hh

Given every item of equipment and the posibility of placing i am sure we could make anyone in any type of BC (wing, BI or jacket) fall on their face - the key is to balance it - which really isnt that hard even with an AL80 near empty. You can either use science and mechanics to solve or create (also a misapplication of science) problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom