Vote on your preferred BC -

What BC style do you use or recommend most often (if you don't like the one you use)

• New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Long time member - use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"You can either use science and mechanics to solve or create (also a misapplication of science) problems."

By golly, Simon, that's well said, well said indeed!!!

The Kraken:
I would never consider a poll taken here as a true sampling of the universal diving population.

From reading the posts, I would surmise that the ScubaBoard is comprised mainly of divers that take the sport more seriously than the average recreational diver and/or divers that plan to take their participation in the sport to a higher level.

I think a more accurate survey would be an individual's observation of the make up of the rigs that s/he sees in the respective diving venues.
Well check out this site for a quick check on your statistical population - sample size determination. I plugged in 38000 members, 95% CL and 5% CI, so i am 95% sure that the numbers from this poll would be accurate to within +/-5% when the number of respondants/results reaches 380. If i want it more accurate than that the size goes up substantially. Of course then compare that to however many million divers there are out there and you need a sample size probably roughly equal to all the members of SB to get a good idea. You can play with the numbers all you like to work out how close we are with the current vote tally to find the CI - currently 150 of 38k and around 40% are BP/W at 95% CL gives just under +/-8% for a CI. Of course the sample might be biased, but most people hit this thread on a drive by, and as discussed we might have more folks on here more involved with their diving than a great many out there who only go on vacation to dive once a year. However i ran the same 40% of 150 over 10,000,000 divers and still got almost +/-8% CI. I was looking for a table i once used in my high school stats classes, but couldnt find what i was after, this calculator thing is pretty close to what i expected though. Statistics is a wonderful thing, but yet again you can prove pretty much anything with the "right" data :wink:

Simon, I didn't know you were a stat head too !!! (I'm a Q/A Engineer)
But you hit the nail on the head, you're looking at a biased sampling.
The kurtosis will be extreme . . .

The Kraken:
Simon, I didn't know you were a stat head too !!! (I'm a Q/A Engineer)
But you hit the nail on the head, you're looking at a biased sampling.
The kurtosis will be extreme . . .
I am not big into the whole thing as i know it can get convoluted and of course biased by all parties involved to suit their own ends, but its always intersting to note. IIRC the exponentially large CI drops away in the teens of samples, or before 30 samples, something like that, i couldnt find the table that i have pictured in my head from classes almost 10 years ago - but this site seemed on the nose for me. Its like asking people in the city who are environmentalists about countryside practices or some other such group that is not necessarily indicative. :wink: BTW dont read too much intellect into my posts, just saying what i think is correct and can try to back up :wink:

Hey Kraken, I remember the poll you did, it's partly why I did this one :wink: I was mostly curious if it was possible to partially seperate the vocal "BP/W" crowd (of which I'm part :D ) from the rest of the SB users... I'm finding it interesting noting the difference between newer and older sb members (not age mind you)

And thanks for the input on the validity of a biased poll from you and simbrooks . . .

Aloha, Tim

Hey, Kid,
I think you did a good job in establishing your groups as you did (can you detect the little note of envy there because I didn't?).

You'll probably be able to a bi-modal distribution (or whatever it was called back when I was studying Juran's).

Ask the mod's if they'll let you run it longer than the normal polls. We keep having new and old divers discover the board every day.

If you ever say I said this, I'll call you a liar, buy you may want to "bump" the poll to the top of the list a couple of times a day so that it won't get buried.

the K

LOL - actually the polls now have a time feature, so I left it with no ending date... Course for how active this thread is I don't think bumping will be necessary... but don't worry I won't rat on you...

Tim

The Kraken:
Hey, Kid,
I think you did a good job in establishing your groups as you did (can you detect the little note of envy there because I didn't?).

You'll probably be able to a bi-modal distribution (or whatever it was called back when I was studying Juran's).

Ask the mod's if they'll let you run it longer than the normal polls. We keep having new and old divers discover the board every day.

If you ever say I said this, I'll call you a liar, buy you may want to "bump" the poll to the top of the list a couple of times a day so that it won't get buried.

the K

kidspot:
LOL - actually the polls now have a time feature, so I left it with no ending date... Course for how active this thread is I don't think bumping will be necessary... but don't worry I won't rat on you...

Tim

Unfortunately, your survey will never provide findings statistically significant for the diving population in general, or specifically for the scubaboard population, because your sample is self-selected. If scuba board would allow you to send your survey by email to a random sample of scubaboard members, then you would be able to say something about that population, but as several people have noted already, scubaboard members are not representative of the diving community as a whole. In essence, what you are measuring are the opinions of frequent scubaboard members who are interested in this topic, and on that count your findings are very clear!:)

meisburger:
In essence, what you are measuring are the opinions of frequent scubaboard members who are interested in this topic, and on that count your findings are very clear!:)

Well, they are clearly split between BP/W and BI BC's. I, for one, am happy with the results... :crafty:

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom