Vote on your preferred BC -

What BC style do you use or recommend most often (if you don't like the one you use)

• New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Long time member - use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with as many recommendations as I have seen on here, I almost feel compelled to get a bp/w.... I will need something for doubles (I have a seaquest balance which I love) since my BCD only works for single tanks....

CAn anyone recommend one that is very comfortable? (in and out of the water)....

simbrooks:
Not saying its not possible, but you are one of the only people i have heard this from. Again i prefer the easy chair floating position and a full bladder, but even full i can still float head up when vertical.
I don't think I'm the only person this is heard from. BIs face planting people is often mentioned, then quickly put down as a fictional thing that doesn't really happen. Just maybe, sometimes it does...?

This one i can help on, buy some tank strap weight system, offset the pouches - one on the top left the other on bottom right or vice versa, there you go decent lateral and vertical balance - 3# in each :wink:

Ditchable tank weights? I'd probably have fine enough balance by just putting 3# in each trim pocket, just nothing ditchable. Anyway, this isn't diving with my own tank at home or someplace where the gear is in my control all the time - I can't have something separate to put on my tank-of-the-moment - tends not to work well in many resort situations. Something on the regular strap at least keeps me with one unit. We'll see how it works. I suppose I could go back to a weight belt :(

Either go with the wetsuit pockets or x-shorts or just buy a pocket made for a harness (anything in size from a slate type to a mask pocket and larger) that you can slide on your waist band. I have some on my BP harness - although i really dont need them with my DS pockets - unless i am diving wet :wink:
well, not crazy about the idea of wetsuit pockets, given that my "wetsuit" is sometimes just a lycra skin which isn't going to support much, and I don't want to move things from pocket to pocket - keep a couple suits in rotation so I can have a dry one when doing 4-5/day. :)

x-shorts - not my style - plus I don't want another item to put on. I'm after as few separate pieces as possible.

I've actually bought several pockets intended for harnesses and tried them on the strap but none of them have worked very well for one reason or another. I'm using the least objectionable of them currently. When I get around to it I'm going to make the perfect pocket...

kidspot:
8. Divers in shorts and flip-flops sipping beers by the beach won't snicker when you walk by .... and I care because that's what "I" want to be like? Not a chance ...

If nobody cares what others think then why is everyone arguing about this? (not picking on you but can only seem to quote one person)

I think Sphyrna says it right, its all about what sort of diving you do and what you are comfortable with.
Me? Jacket all the way.
If i went to Bikini or something (if i'm diving wrecks they better be in warm water!)then i would probably go with the BP/W for doubles (couldn't fit those on my jacket) but as a single tank diver i love a great fitting jacket, and see no reason to change unless i do some kind of diving that calls for a change. All to do with style of diving and what works for you.

BTW, i am one of those beer sippers on the beach! Diving is for the morning and early afternoon, evenings are meant for beer! I tend to go bare foot though...
I don't snicker at BCDs just foul smelling booties! yuck....

Calloused ankles in the tropics..Mike

Stryker:
with as many recommendations as I have seen on here, I almost feel compelled to get a bp/w.... I will need something for doubles (I have a seaquest balance which I love) since my BCD only works for single tanks....

CAn anyone recommend one that is very comfortable? (in and out of the water)....

Best to try as many options as possible - I was fortunate in that I have been very happy with my BP/W and never got to try one before buying, but it would have been nice to do so first .... for that matter I'd never seen one, I actually bought it after reading volumes of reviews, many from users on this board.

If you don't know anyone in your area that rents them, post a request in the Hog or DIR forums and I'm sure several guys in your area would be willing to let you dive with them and try their gear out. Plus you'd get help fitting it correctly.

Aloha, Tim

Mike Veitch:
If nobody cares what others think then why is everyone arguing about this? (not picking on you but can only seem to quote one person)

It's not a matter of "not caring what others think" so much as who cares... I'm not a beach goer (actually don't like the beach, but that's where most of the water is at - lol) and I don't drink alchohol, I wear sneakers to the beach with socks... do I care what people say? Not the ones on the beach... But the opinions of those I respect and agree with do carry a lot of weight with me and I "do" care what they think...though rarely about wardrobe (which if you can't tell already is not a major concern to me...)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. even if you're not "picking" on me, you're welcome too :wink: This whole conversation is my "fault" after all - LOL

I have a DiveRite BP/W, I find it very comfortable and easier to maintain a horizontal diving position, other BC's have given me lower back problems whereas my current setup does not fatigue my lower back. Again this works for me, might not work for all.

Yes, but can anyone answer the neutral stability question posed above. Can you hover on your side or upside down as easily in wings.

As to "urban legends", seems more likely that the idea a BP doesn't float you face forward would qualify. Anyone ever see a balloon basket level with the balloon? Ever read the manuafacturers warning that come with wings? I promise you, no lie, that a jacket will you easier at the surface than wings every time.

(contrarian) Tim (I don't know what it is, but I have always been kind of a non-conformist type guy)

meisburger:
Yes, but can anyone answer the neutral stability question posed above. Can you hover on your side or upside down as easily in wings.

Interesting question,

I've spent most of my time learning to remain horizontal and stationary in the water column, but I'll have to give that a try - of course I don't have a jacket to compare it to, so I will not be able to give a very well researched answer to it either. Next time you're in my neck of the woods let me know and we can swap gear for a day and run some tests. :) - Wait, you use a BI don't you? So they should be pretty similar to each other... maybe RiverRat can loan me one of those Jackets before he sets it on fire :wink: lol

Aloha, Tim

Damselfish:
I don't think I'm the only person this is heard from. BIs face planting people is often mentioned, then quickly put down as a fictional thing that doesn't really happen. Just maybe, sometimes it does...?
Most times i hear anything about this its secondhand, rather than firsthand - ie mostly they have this "opinion" as someone told them it would, but they havent experienced it themselves and cant state from that experience - mostly the case of it being mentioned, partly i reckon it stems from folks who love that BCD jacket squeeze and partly from LDS owners badmouthing anything they dont sell and most LDS's dont sell them as they arent as commercially viable.
Damselfish:
Ditchable tank weights? I'd probably have fine enough balance by just putting 3# in each trim pocket, just nothing ditchable. Anyway, this isn't diving with my own tank at home or someplace where the gear is in my control all the time - I can't have something separate to put on my tank-of-the-moment - tends not to work well in many resort situations. Something on the regular strap at least keeps me with one unit. We'll see how it works. I suppose I could go back to a weight belt :(
I can ditch the weight out of them, but it does take a bit of contortion to drop it out. The pouches are mounted on the tank bands - i put them right in by the BP behind the wing just to keep them out of the way. As you move your BP/STA from one tank to another so the tank weights come with you. Granted you might or might not be able to split up weights given to you on some charters when you have flown away from home - but nor will WI jacket users be able to do so. :wink: Weight ditching should really only been done on the surface (or i guess with a full tank at depth - easily ditchable weight should equal tank swing weight, the rest non-ditchable - the only reason to ditch should be a complete loss of buoyancy or needing to get to the surface really soon - but lets not open this can of worms if we can avoid it). Of course you could also get your buddy to help you get the weights out when you are on the surface - or of course take off your rig, ditch and replace the rig - same with any trim weights on ANY bcd or BP/W combo.
Damselfish:
well, not crazy about the idea of wetsuit pockets, given that my "wetsuit" is sometimes just a lycra skin which isn't going to support much, and I don't want to move things from pocket to pocket - keep a couple suits in rotation so I can have a dry one when doing 4-5/day. :)

x-shorts - not my style - plus I don't want another item to put on. I'm after as few separate pieces as possible.

I've actually bought several pockets intended for harnesses and tried them on the strap but none of them have worked very well for one reason or another. I'm using the least objectionable of them currently. When I get around to it I'm going to make the perfect pocket...
I understand the wetsuit pockets and x-shorts issues, they are solution, but only for those who like that idea. As for pockets, i have found mine stay in place on the waist strap with on of those weight belt keepers slid infront of the pocket to prevent the pocket from sliding off - the other option i found was zip-tying them on when the straps to hold the pocket were larger than 2" - that friction held them nicely.
meisburger:

As to "urban legends", seems more likely that the idea a BP doesn't float you face forward would qualify. Anyone ever see a balloon basket level with the balloon? Ever read the manuafacturers warning that come with wings? I promise you, no lie, that a jacket will you easier at the surface than wings every time.
Yes i can hover on my side or upside down with a wing, its balanced for a single tank - now doubles you have larger forces playing and its not as easy to hang on your side!

It is true that jacket BC's have a little air around the front of them (which is the main reason for crushing your ribs on or under the water and preventing good breathing), but do you recall that you have lungs within your body, about 6-8L (about 10-14pints or #'s lift UW) which should be enough to hold you above water, particularly if your tank is somewhat empty - another 2# lift (AL - or of course steel might be slightly negative and actually torque you backwards) and a little air in your BC/wing, add in a little trim weight to get you neutral UW and a BP and you are good and balanced. I have never gone face down when i am vertical on the surface without having a huge lung full of air, kicking of such - no effort. I still prefer the easy chair position, more comfortable to float on the water rather than dangle down in it - kind of the reason i dive horizontally as well :wink:

Bob C:
If I have a BP/W and I want to be vertical, heads down or on my right side, can I stay there as long as I want (no currents, of course)? Or is there a tendency to roll over, face down as I was told by one BP/W user?
Thanks for educating me, Bob C.

Of course you can ... the important thing is to understand the forces that are acting on your body and balance your rig accordingly. This really has nothing to do the style of rig you use. It's simple physics.

I explained it partly here ... http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=995918&postcount=36 .... the rest depends on how you laterally balance these same forces, but the concept applies equally.

You do this by placing your weights according to what type of BCD you are wearing, what style of cylinder you are using, and what additional gear you are carrying.

A balanced rig, REGARDLESS OF STYLE, will allow you to have absolute control over your position in the water simply by changing the orientation of your body until the opposing forces represented by CoB and CoG align themselves.

To my concern, it mostly boils down to personal preference ... due to the fact that as a diver gets more experienced (and more comfortable) in whatever style of buoyancy control device they choose, their body adapts to the point where subtle (sometimes unconsious) changes in body position achieve the desired fine control.

Which is why so many assume that the gear THEY chose happens to be the best ... because they've adapted to it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom