Vote on your preferred BC -

What BC style do you use or recommend most often (if you don't like the one you use)

• New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • New to board (6 months)- use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Jacket BC

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Long time member - use or recommend Back inflate BC

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Long time member - use or recommend BP/Wing

Votes: 69 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't respond in the poll because I dive both a zeagle and a BP/W. When a friend asks me what is the best, I invite them to come dive with me and try all 3 types, then make up their own mind. After trying all 3 types my son wanted a jacket style. Now that he has more logged dives, he wants a BP/W setup.

I don't think that any one type is right for everyone.

TT :wink:

I use a bp/w, but I don't push them. To each his or her own. I will sing their praise if anyone voices the interest in them, but I don't offer it uninvited.

Chad Carney:
Interesting categories in this pole.

BTW when did a BP&W cease to be a BC? (They do compensate buoyancy you know.)
icon12.gif

By the rules, to be honest, I had to vote in the NTB category. I guess in another month when I'm a LTM... I'll see the error of my "back inflate BC" ways and crave a BP&W!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Chad

Hey Chad,

Actually it didn't, it just doesn't get commonly referred to that way - and I already abbreviated it so much that I just left one more abbreviation off. - To be fair I probably should have included it (tough to make an unbiased poll, when you are biased, but I did actually try)

oh - and the NTB does not mean you are not a valuable contributor, I just figured the time period would "limit" a persons exposure to the bp/wing "zealot, missionary" crowd's (of which I'm one - lol) "preaching"... :wink:

btw - if anyone can think of a better way to word this as toward getting more accurate results, I'm all ears! I'm really curious about this given my bias toward the bp...

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Thanks for inspiring this curiosity Chad ...

Hey Scott,

It is great having your views on the board. There don't seem to be too many company reps (I don't know where you are in the "Zeagle" structure of things...) who are very active on the board... wonder what the ratio is... just kidding :wink: (thankfully there are a few who really represent their company well)

I am curious if you know (and can release) the approximate ratio between jacket, back inflate and bp/w sales, since Zeagle would have broad base to base such data on?

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably something like 75 : 20 : 5 - That would be based upon what I see at the beach - in a very "tourist" area...

Aloha, Tim

P.S. according to the Scubaboard member gallery there are 1,004 users with 100 posts or more - about 2.5% - (when sorted by signature, which I "assume" most regular visitors have a sig line) So it looks like you are right on about the number of regular visitors...

ScottZeagle:
There are 38.4k registered ScubaBoard members. Out of those 38.4k, I would GUESS that less than 5% of them visit the board regularly.
(disclaimer: I said that is MY GUESS - Tech or Doc, you have any actual stats on this?)

Out of 38.4k, you have a small portion of people who are BP/W advocates, but they post often, and are passionate about the BP/W, which makes it appear that there is a HUGE BP/W faction on ScubaBoard. In reality, this my not be the actual case.

I make it a point not to say "You should buy a Zeagle BC!" everytime someone asks for advice or input. I guess I could do it, but why? I do answer Zeagle related questions for people, and often help them choose a BC (or a BP/W!) that is right for their situation, but 90% of the time it is done through PMs - and only if they PM me ASKING for advice - I NEVER solicit them.

I have no problem with BP/W's. We make them and sell them. I didn't think we would sell nearly as many as we do, but I would be lying if I said the ration of BP/W sales to BCs sales was even remotely close - it isn't. I realize that we are only one company, and not the first choice of many BP/W users (and we are working on that! :wink: ) but I can't help but think that our ratio has to be pretty close to the market standard.

Once again, let me stress, I have no problem with BP/Ws or the people who use them - I just believe that the overall percentage industry wide is very small in comparison to BC users.

Reading back through this, I am not sure what it ads to the conversation, it is just one guys viewpoint...LOL

No matter what syle or brand you dive, the most important thing is that you get out and DIVE!!!

Scott

Hey TT,

That's a fair answer. This poll will hopefully reflect crowds that have a decided preference for one type of BC or another - and I'm more interested in the comparison of the older board members compared to the more recent one. I don't think this will actually be an accurate representation of the entire board, just a hint at the comparison between those two crowds.

Thanks for the input,

Aloha, Tim

TwoTanks:
I didn't respond in the poll because I dive both a zeagle and a BP/W. When a friend asks me what is the best, I invite them to come dive with me and try all 3 types, then make up their own mind. After trying all 3 types my son wanted a jacket style. Now that he has more logged dives, he wants a BP/W setup.

I don't think that any one type is right for everyone.

TT :wink:

kidspot:
Hey Scott,

It is great having your views on the board. There don't seem to be too many company reps (I don't know where you are in the "Zeagle" structure of things...) who are very active on the board... wonder what the ratio is... just kidding :wink: (thankfully there are a few who really represent their company well)

I am curious if you know (and can release) the approximate ratio between jacket, back inflate and bp/w sales, since Zeagle would have broad base to base such data on?

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably something like 75:20:5 - That would be based upon what I see at the beach - in a very "tourist" area...

Aloha, Tim

P.S. according to the Scubaboard member gallery there are 1,004 users with 100 posts or more - about 2.5% - (when sorted by signature, which I "assume" most regular visitors have a sig line) So it looks like you are right on about the number of regular visitors...

Tim,

First off, thanks for the kind words.

My official title at Zeagle is "Assistant General Manager" but don't let that fool you - we all do whatever needs to be done on any given day!! For example, on Monday we had a few people out with the flu, so I was "the shipping guy" for the day. (Zeagle dealers, if you get the wrong packages, I'M SORRY! :wink: )
On busy days we have had the President of the company taping boxes closed to beat the UPS deadline - so we all do whatever it takes!!! :eyebrow:

We don't sell "jacket style" BCs, but I would safely guess that out of 100 units sold, 95 of them are back inflation BCs. Like I said earlier, we are not known as a BP company, so Dive Rite or Halcyon would have hugely different ratios, I'm sure.

This is an interesting thread, thanks!

Scott...who doesn't have a sig line... :wink:

The BC question...
What kind of BC should I get? This question (or one of its variants) comes up over & over again.
So, instead of trying to claim one style is superior to another, I'll share my impressions and practices and conclusions from some 35 or so years of diving.
Of all the rigs I have used, I still own and use two jackets; one soft harness, two backplates and three wings. Why so many? Because there are so many dives, and my experience is that the BC that's optimal for one style of diving isn't necessarily optimal for another.
(1) For tropical recreational diving - warm water non-technical diving: My favorite BC is the Seaquest Explorer, a little tropical jacket that has about 15 pounds lift. It packs small, is very comfortable and has neutral stability in both pitch and roll with an aluminum 80. Neutral stability, like neutral buoyancy, means that the BC/tank combination does not tend to put you in any other position than the one you're in. If you're head up, or horizontal, or head down, or on one side or the other you stay there without kicking or sculling. This neutral lateral and longitudinal stability is particularly valuable to the open water sightseer or photographer, allowing the assumption of any position easily to look in that hole or to compose that perfect shot without having to use the reef as an anchor. Unfortunately the Explorer is discontinued, but there are other small tropical jackets available.
(2) For colder water recreational diving and for instructing open water: My favorite is the Seaquest Pro QD, a great big jacket with tremendous lift and superb surface floatation - a trait that comes in handy with the occasional less-than-calm student. This jacket also has excellent neutral lateral and longitudinal stability underwater.
(3) For big single tanks, or for working (other than instructing OW) dives, or big singles with stage or deco bottle, or anything with a "tech" component but with a single tank, my favorite is the Dive-Rite Transpac II with travel wing. This rig has positive stability - that is it tends to return you to the horizontal position if you're displaced. It is easy to get good longitudinal trim set, and it is sturdy, with "real" "D" rings for hanging stages etc. My transpac ends up being used more than any other rig.
(4) For light doubles (up to LP-85's or E7-100's) I use a Fred T heavy backplate and Dive-Rite Rec wing. This rig has adequate lift and I find the Rec wing slimmer and more streamlined than the Classic with the smaller tanks.
(5) For doubles larger than LP-85's I use a Dive-Rite aluminum BP and Dive-Rite Classic wing.
As you can see, my answer to the "what is the best BC?" question is largely dependent on the type diving you plan to do. If you're going to be a tropical photographer, I'd recommend a slim tropical jacket. If you're going caving, a BP/Wing to suit the doubles you're using.
Just as a note of interest, I have tried and do not like a BP/Wing with single tanks of any size. And while I find the Transpac to be acceptable for smaller doubles, I personally don't like it as well as a BP for doubles of any size.
S

ScottZeagle:
My official title at Zeagle is "Assistant General Manager" but don't let that fool you - we all do whatever needs to be done on any given day!! For example, on Monday we had a few people out with the flu, so I was "the shipping guy" for the day. (Zeagle dealers, if you get the wrong packages, I'M SORRY! :wink: )
On busy days we have had the President of the company taping boxes closed to beat the UPS deadline - so we all do whatever it takes!!! :eyebrow:

We don't sell "jacket style" BCs, but I would safely guess that out of 100 units sold, 95 of them are back inflation BCs. Like I said earlier, we are not known as a BP company, so Dive Rite or Halcyon would have hugely different ratios, I'm sure.

Sounds like my Dad's job - Director of the state office, or whatever needs doing that no one else is doing... (toilet stopped up? shelves fell over...again? etc..) Humility in management really inspires loyalty amoungst the staff - builds a trust between folks when you share in a job to see it through.

I didn't know Zeagle only manufactured back infation BC's - that I find interesting. The ratio of BI to BP is interesting considering you are not as well known as DR or Halcyon in the bp/w market- thanks for sharing that info. I'd imagine Halcyon doesn't sell too many Jacket BC's either :wink:

Aloha, Tim

1. No crotch strap
2. Safety (you will float head up at the surface)
3. Pockets
4. Simplicity and weight (important for travelling divers)
5. Stability underwater
6. Fit (one size does not fit all)
7. Comfort (try carrying your tank down the beach from your hotel to the wreck at Tulumben wearing BP/wings
8. Divers in shorts and flip-flops sipping beers by the beach won't snicker when you walk by
9. No crotch strap that other divers might potentially grab on to for a tow
10. They are cheaper.

For those who like back inflation, I'm sure the modern back inflate BCs (like Zeagle's) are a much better alternative for tropical diving than a BP/W, which is, after all, very old technology.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom