Vortoberfest VII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, it looks like Michelle and I are not going to make this one :(

Mom and I are driving down early Saturday morning and hopefully going to Cypress for part of the day.

I would like to dive cypress sat also...is it worth carrying a cave config or just a backmount? do canoes need to be reserved?

The cavern at Cypress can be done with backmount. It goes down at about a 45 degree angle to a max depth of about 60 feet. I have never known anyone to go further, the opening is very small.

Vernon canoe rentals has lots of boats and there probably won't be a problem getting one. If you want to call here is their contact information:

River Trips Vernon, FL - Holmes Creek Canoe Livery 850-956-2074

AUCADE has been there many times, you might want to PM him and hook up with them Sat morning....

I would like to dive cypress sat also...is it worth carrying a cave config or just a backmount? do canoes need to be reserved?

Cypress is pretty short. The most significant issue will most likely be the flow, which is pretty damn stiff (think Devil's Ear) at the entrance, but very manageable once you get into the cavern proper. I'm always super-careful on exit, because it's easy to imagine a 15ft depth change within a single breath cycle. Flow was way down at Morrison two weeks ago though, so it may be down at Cypress too.

Here are some photos at the entrance:

IMG_1264a.jpg

Some shots from Barry:
P8148286.jpg

BShivley-PA095748.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom