Vortex Springs 4/02/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never eaten them, but I hear they have a really greasy/oily taste to them. They're essentially carp aren't they?

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've never eaten them, but I hear they have a really greasy/oily taste to them. They're essentially carp aren't they?
Yes, they are basically carp. A giant cross between a carp and a goldfish. They mostly look like carp to me though as they have barbels and suckermouths like carp. They shoot out those suckers and a big puff of silt gets thrown into the water column.

Interesting link on them: http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Minnows, Carp II.htm

Most notable portion of article: Worst Traits. Big carps can root like a hog – as deeply as six inches into the substrate – in search of edible morsels. They also eat nearly any vegetation that will fit into their mouths and uproot the rest. They out-compete most game fishes – especially in turbid (stirred up) waters. They grow probably five times faster than bass and can live in water that would kill most game fishes. Carps also fight harder than most game fishes.

As I was saying, they silt up the site just as bad as OW divers, I have witnessed this on many occations while putzing around the basin.

Matt

Corigan:
they silt up the site just as bad as OW divers, I have witnessed this on many occations while putzing around the basin.

... and they're not even sneaky about it, no shame whatsoever!

haha, I thought you were joking and that was directed to KylePreid.

fmw625:
My neice and her boyfriend are going to Vortex Springs today 4/02/05 for their cert dives with a group out of Jackson, MS. They will be diving in the afternoon. If anyone is there say hello and make them welcome. Wish I could have gone but had to work.

I'm not familiar with Vortex Springs, where is it. I lived in Jackson, MS about 8 years ago

Vortex Springs is in Florida about an hour from Pensecola.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom