Vortex Spring Sale Rumor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The word I got from a very reliable source is that Vortex has definitely been sold. However the dive operations will still be in affect at least for the next three to four years. Future plans are in the works to turn the Florida panhandle area around Ponce Deleon into another Orlando/Disney Land. My source says that there is a large real estate company that is buying up large quantities of land around Vortex and other counties in the area so that they can start this transformation in the near future.

As far as the Laws of blocking water ways the state does not allow for the blocking of said navigable waterways however if you look at certain springs around Tallahassee certain people have managed to get around these laws by some means unknown to the public. These springs are navigable but are off limits to the general public. So apparently there are Laws against such things but there must be political loop holes that circumvent these said Laws.

aquaknott:
The word I got from a very reliable source is that Vortex has definitely been sold.

I can go one step beyond that and show you a copy of where the deed was filed with the county clerk for the sale. Yep. It's sold. (the property is). (was done somwhere around June 30 w/o checking the "exact" date).

What long term dive operation plans are going to be is the same thing we've all heard.

Future plans are in the works to turn the Florida panhandle area around Ponce Deleon into another Orlando/Disney Land. My source says that there is a large real estate company that is buying up large quantities of land around Vortex and other counties in the area so that they can start this transformation in the near future.

yep. another company is buying up land. There is some info on the web about that also.

I've heard theme park, animal park, etc. However, I've not seen anything definate of how this will all work with Vortex. It may be a whole seperate thing going on.

If it does turn into a petting zoon for Mickey & Friends. Then we'll survive. Morrison is down the road, is free, and is owned by the state, which makes private ownership possibilities much harder.

The animal park will in chipley/bonifay area.

I spoke to the air fill guy that lives on the property while ther today.

He told me that the whole plac ehad ben sold for 10.5 mil. I asked what was going on in the other pond. He told me that they were building a cave training area. When I asked why they were going to finish that long abandond project?
He told me it was part of the deal. The cave training area must be finished and the dive operation to remain intact. He told me that all the entrance road areas were to be paved.

Like gas prices, you may wishing for the days you only paid $32 to get into Vortex. Someone will have to pay for the upgrades

ScubaKris:
The animal park will in chipley/bonifay area.

I spoke to the air fill guy that lives on the property while ther today.

He told me that the whole plac ehad ben sold for 10.5 mil.

HOLY Cow Batman! $10.5 mil ? I would have never guessed that much. I just can't see it. I mean most of the structures on the facility aren't "that great" and the rest isn't that fancy either.

$10.5 mil just really suprised me.

He told me that all the entrance road areas were to be paved.

The road is pretty rough. mostly "washboard". But for the few times I'm there, it's not that big of a deal to me. If they are making them complete the 'cave training center' and the raod, that's a geat expense.

Like gas prices, you may wishing for the days you only paid $32 to get into Vortex. Someone will have to pay for the upgrades

Well, I agree with Mat. They've got profits now. The recent rate increase even means more profits. $32 is kinda high for that small hole in the ground. Especially when the average quarry dive is half the price and easily up to 10 times more diveable area.

I think that if they raise the price more, you'll see people "just say no".

The buildings don't matter,..it is what the business is worth or worth to someone. As for the rates. They will charge what the market will bare,..and with no competition.

With my business I may tell people we charge labor and materials. Actually we charge what the market will bare. As much as we can get away with,..just as an employee will demand as much wage as he can, not just what he needs to pay his bills

As for the price, I have an annual pass for $200. It pays for itself in about 6 days. They have been throwing in an air fill lately so the price is actually $27

I bring full tanks, as many as I need, typically filled for free :wink:

Ginnie Springs charges $20-25, Devils Den charges $25-30, Blue Grotto, even more. Several of the other springs in that area are cheap/free.

Morrison is just down the road from Vortex, Cypress and Becton are just down the river, they are all free. The market can get away with paying alot less and dealing with the lesser amenities if a large price increase occurs.

Most of the divers there are in training or with a shop that has sold a trip. People from TX, LA, West North West GA, Ginnie and those other springs are a lot farther. More then $5 - $10 Difference in gas alone.

Morrison has been abnormally divable this year. Beckon and Cypress they would need to know where they are, have a boat or canoe.

I live a few miles from VOrtex, have an annual pass and prbably dive it 50 times a year to get wet, take the dogs, etc. It cost me about $4 a day. Often I will go to Morrison and then do a tank at Vortex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom