Vortex/Panama City Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We left Montgomery at noon-thirty on Friday and set out on yet another adventurous weekend. Neal and Alden needed their certification by Monday so we did check-out dives with them Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. The spring was virtually deserted both days and the water clear and refreshing. I ventured off between dives and found a few nice fossils and one piece of pottery. Dinner at Sally’s followed and we stayed at the Motor Lodge. Saturday morning we finished the certification dives and headed to Panama City.

We at lunch at the Blue Top and stopped in to see friends at various dive shops and finally to PCDC. Despite a prediction of one to two footers we noticed that the wind was whipping around pretty smartly. Alas, the boats were calling in telling stories of water coming over the bow and they scrubbed the trip at the last minute. Steve said that he was out in the storm at Destin and it was really rough there too. We tried to do the jetties but low tide wasn’t until 7:30 and divers coming out told tales of two-foot visibility and a ripping current. We decided instead to watch the sunset from Uncle Ernie’s. Those who had never been there were amused that the directions included “Turn right at Tan Fannies” and were impressed at the amount of great food that we enjoyed out on the back deck.

We didn’t have any trouble falling off to sleep. The La Quinta Inn that Scott set us up with is absolutely wonderful. Clean and new, it sets the environment for a restful night. In the morning we enjoyed a poolside breakfast.

The unpredicted summer squall blew over as quickly as it came and Sunday was absolutely great. Smooth seas beckoned us and we went forth with burning anticipation. We rode the Reef Runner and were pleasantly surprised to learn that Katie has her Captain’s license now. Our old friend Captain Dennis decked for her and little Katie did an outstanding job putting the big boat on the site first time with no problems.

We dive the Black Bart often and always seem to see something new. There was another boat on first so we tied to the stern. The aggravating mild thermocline at about ten feet off the bottom made visibility a little limited near the sand but great above the layer. We found an octopus peering from the end of a pipe. I made way to the wheelhouse and found my first ever in Panama City Pencil Urchin. Unfortunately he was in a crack so small that I couldn’t get a picture. The skeleton in the wheelhouse is all but gone. There is a baseball cap attached to the wreck that acts as a memorial to someone named Ferris. Interesting! On ascent, I got an interesting picture of a group of baby jacks riding inside the tentacles of a jellyfish.

Bridge Span 14 was equally fantastic. The silt layer still covered the bottom but visibility was all the way across the span at the top. On ascent I found a moon jellyfish with some sort of luminescent creature inside. Every time the jelly moved the creature inside shone like a jewel. The wind was picking up a little and the trip back bumpy. Once again Katie did a fantastic job.

The worst part of the weekend, as always, was the long drive home knowing that another work week would soon begin.

It sucks when people can't keep their hands to themselves and end up ruining a site.

wjefferis:
It sucks when people can't keep their hands to themselves and end up ruining a site.

Well it's inevitable with the number of divers that go there. The dive operators are somewhat to blame as they seem to take their boats to this site 98% of the time.

I'm surprised that more of the wreck isn't damaged more.

Still screwy that the skeleton is gone. It used to even have a regulator on it. I guess someone took that also. Like a regulator that's been soaking in saltwater for years is any good to anyone.

For those who are wondering what we're talking about... here's a pic from years previous.

black-bart-skeleton.jpg

That would be a little freeky if nobody told you about the skeleton before the dive and you saw it laying there!!!

Great report, sounds like an awesome weekend!

mike_s:
Well it's inevitable with the number of divers that go there. The dive operators are somewhat to blame as they seem to take their boats to this site 98% of the time.

As the operator of a cattle boat and the owner of a six pack spearing charter, where else should the dive operators take their divers? I can promise you that the shop and boat owners are diligently trying to get more ARs setup inshore but the competition for large ships is somewhat steep, besides most bubble blowers who come down on vacation simply aren't up to anything more challenging than the Bart or a Bridge Span! My deckhands and PCDC's and everyone else's end up making rescue swims several times a week as it is when vis is less than 20'.

PatMyGreen:
As the operator of a cattle boat and the owner of a six pack spearing charter, where else should the dive operators take their divers? I can promise you that the shop and boat owners are diligently trying to get more ARs setup inshore but the competition for large ships is somewhat steep, besides most bubble blowers who come down on vacation simply aren't up to anything more challenging than the Bart or a Bridge Span! My deckhands and PCDC's and everyone else's end up making rescue swims several times a week as it is when vis is less than 20'.

I understand what you are saying, but for repeat customers, the same sites can get old when its known that there are several other sites out there.

I completely understand that, and frankly would never dive the sites I have to take the customers on the cattle boat for the inshore trips. However there are an untold number of 6 pack operators here that will take you where ever you want to go for little extra, you only have to ask. I take the Fintastic offshore every week 3 or 4 times, with between 6 and 14 people to the Chippewa, BJ Putnam, Accokeek, Twin Tugs, Tarpon, and Comander never mind the offshore bridge spans!

Ironically no one but spearfishermen ever wants to see the natural bottom since we have little to no large corals and few sponges here.

Tell me where you want to go or what you want to see and I'll give you the number for a Capt that will take you there. Demand is what drives the charter industry and I promise you there are a few of us sensitive to that business model.

If the little storm hadn't shown up I would have gone to the Accokeek or Two tugs on Saturday and one of the off shore bridge spans. The group that would have been with me were all experienced divers or advanced students. I don't like putting students or someone with limited experience on Stage I because it is so easy to get disoriented. The Keek serves my purpose for advanced training.

On Sunday I had a group of brand new divers who had never been on a boat or in the ocean. I was offered live bottom but chose the Bart and BS 14 for them. It is so hard to get lost on either.

I have been to the Bart hundreds of times and dove the Strength when it was lieing entirely on the port side and still had paint. I dove the bridge spans when you could still see the white line down the highway. Every time I dive the Bart and BS 14 I see something interesting and new. The only two sea-horses that I have seen in PC were one on the Bart and one on 14. I have a picture of an Oscellated Frogfish and a seahorse in the same shot. I also saw a nudi there that Paul Humann couldn't identify.

Last Sunday I saw the first Pencil Urchin that I remember seeing in the Gulf on Bart.

The sites that you go to are based on how much you are willing to pay and what you ask for. Just remember that dives are like wine, women, steak, cheese, and beer. All are good, just some are better than others.

Back
Top Bottom