Vortex/Panama City Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen:
I completely understand that, and frankly would never dive the sites I have to take the customers on the cattle boat for the inshore trips. However there are an untold number of 6 pack operators here that will take you where ever you want to go for little extra, you only have to ask. I take the Fintastic offshore every week 3 or 4 times, with between 6 and 14 people to the Chippewa, BJ Putnam, Accokeek, Twin Tugs, Tarpon, and Comander never mind the offshore bridge spans!

Ironically no one but spearfishermen ever wants to see the natural bottom since we have little to no large corals and few sponges here.

Tell me where you want to go or what you want to see and I'll give you the number for a Capt that will take you there. Demand is what drives the charter industry and I promise you there are a few of us sensitive to that business model.

Pat it’s good to see you on scuba board I hope that new dive boat is getting broke in well. Psssst we want tell spearboard your here:D

Tom Smedley:
The sites that you go to are based on how much you are willing to pay and what you ask for. Just remember that dives are like wine, women, steak, cheese, and beer. All are good, just some are better than others.
I agree with what you are saying totally. I think the key is to take in the fine detail and not just the large picture. Sure I can cover a large amount of area and say that I circled the entire wreck twice during my dive or I can take my time and see all the life big and small that inhabits the site. Its all about the time you take to enjoy where you are and what you are doing that helps to improve any site, regardless of how many times you've been on it.

wjefferis:
I agree with what you are saying totally. I think the key is to take in the fine detail and not just the large picture. Sure I can cover a large amount of area and say that I circled the entire wreck twice during my dive or I can take my time and see all the life big and small that inhabits the site. Its all about the time you take to enjoy where you are and what you are doing that helps to improve any site, regardless of how many times you've been on it.

While I agree with this, obviously if you look at my logbook and how many times I"ve dived sites like Morrison and the Whiskey Wreck, ect; if you have other sites available, why keep going to the same one? I want to visit other sites before I start doubling up on the same sites over and over again.

That is true, While I have never dove out of Destin yet, It would be frustrating to dive the same spots over and over when there are great sites in the area to get to. I guess the dive charters do it because they are close and they make more money from them, not to say that its right. Kinda sucks that the locals are always stuck with the same dive every time.

wjefferis:
That is true, While I have never dove out of Destin yet, It would be frustrating to dive the same spots over and over when there are great sites in the area to get to. I guess the dive charters do it because they are close and they make more money from them, not to say that its right. Kinda sucks that the locals are always stuck with the same dive every time.

There are pretty much only two diver boat operators in Destin and they have the same problem as the majority of the PCB boats. They go to the same sights over and over again. (Miss Louise tug, bridge rubble pile, etc). Which are the ones that are closest to the pass/harbor entrance.

Ask someone who's been to Panama City in the past couple years "where did the dive boat take you?" Chances are they'll answer the Black Bart and Bridge Span #14 over 90% of the time. It's not that these are bad sites, but like SupRBugman said, you like to seen new sights sometimes before hitting the same ones for multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom