Vortex 1/28-29/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Several of the Montgomery crowd will be down this weekend... Y'all come!
Rick

I have a question about Vortex; I’d like to present my perspective before hand but don’t take this as a troll, I truly wonder what is it with this place.

For the last few years I’ve been living 45minutes from the place. The previous 20 years, Pompano area was my home.
Interaction with people is not my thing but I like to hear about other dive sites. I’d listened to some divers talk about Vortex like they were talking about “THE” diver’s Utopia. For the longest time my situation didn’t allow me to fun-dive much farther than my backyard, but the plans to go places were always present, still are.

Time went by and I managed to visit several springs around Central Florida, I thought they were ok, pretty clean water, but in general too fixed for my taste. Meanwhile I didn’t even know the exact location of this magnificent “Vortex” place that inspired so many write ups and conversations. Other salt water sites became my destination.
Then, few months after moving to the Florida tundra, I find out this Utopia is minutes from my house. How about that… how come we haven’t gone there? Matt’s reply was just a look and the assurance that we’ll go one of these days, when the seas are too rough. The day eventually came; it was the most unimpressive site I’ve been so far.

In particular I want to know what is the logic of driving 4-8-10 even 20 hours from who knows what state, (many times a land locked state) and stop 45 minutes short of a dive site that offers so much more space and options (Gulf of Mexico). All that trip for a crowded place that looks the same today as it does tomorrow? I would understand if you are within walking distance. I went; I saw it, and frankly don’t see the reason to drive there again. I’ve taking visitors to my house when our dives get cancelled for weather, but it is just to get their gear wet. What am I overlooking?

PS. Underwater Intervention starts tomorrow in Tampa. nothing to do with Vortex but because of that event I had the chance to browse this board today.

My 2 cents worth. Yeah verily Vortex is fairly bland. Don't overlook it's utility as a great place for training and checking out that piece of new gear. That being said, I probably would not drive 5 hours from North AL to dive vortex when I can go an additional hour or so and be at the Gulf.

If you are in the general area of Vortex, you might want to dive Morrison Springs. It is right off the same exit on I-10, but south about 10 miles. Can't give you directions. It is a nice dive, good training area and has plenty of fish and other native aquatic species.

Im new at this so every dive is a new experience ,Vortex was a fun dive for me , ask me ten years from now I might have different answer , but for now I think its a good dive and I wish I could make it this weekend but Im going out of town .

I personally enjoy it. It is a great daytrip from New Orleans. I know I will always have the same conditions and it's just a good chance to get wet. You never know what the gulf will throw you. You always know what Vortex will. For a bunch of people here on the board it offers a chance to meet people you never would have had the chance to meet (I'm gunna make a trip...retire in October). You cant get a large group of people together on a boat or multiple boats and get the same effect of standing on the shore BS'ing and diving all day as you please. Yes the gulf is my close favorite place to go but sometimes matters or events call for the spring option. Just my 2 cents. Robbie

Water's 68. That's usually warmer than the Gulf this time of year (maybe not this year... we've had some incredibly warm weather). It's a great place to practice finer points of skills on a flexible schedule. Want to take 5 minutes to try out a new configuration? No sweat. Want to practice an hour long deco hang? No problem. That new gear need adjusting? Get out and fix it. Want to shoot a bag 47 times? No problemo... want to practice running lines? Have at it. Want to try out your new rebreather in a benign environment? Cool.
Want to see a bunch of different configs and have a chance to chat with the folks who use 'em? They're there.
And for those who are cavern or cave certified Vortex is much bigger than it looks.
For me I can take my girls and relax for a couple of days with a dive site in the front yard.
And we'll be throwing some meat on the grill Saturday night.
What's not to like?
Rick

Surprise, surprise... I'll be there this Saturday.... with a new toy (Ricky knows what it is) :). See y'all Saturday.

I've done enough dives there to last me a while so I probably would make a real long special trip to dive it but it's an ok dive. It's a neat place for a night dive especially for a new diver who hasn't seen the eels.

Ok, I'm from Indiana. Unless I want to break out the drysuit and heavy undies, there's little diving around here. Not all my buddies are drysuit certified either.

So I'll echo what Rich said plus add that it's a comfortable drive down, not too far and not too close. Some place different for us and available during the winter.

Well, it is good that there are different sites to satisfy different people.

For me, one of the great things of diving is getting away from people. I guess that puts Vortex out of my list of places to go for fun.

I do understand the part of checking gear out. I went there one Moday morning and did some gear checking, but even with the place to ourselves I was ready for the salty stuff.

Thanks for the answers. You guys have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom