Vomiting during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have puked at depth when going on a working dive at a salvage school, I was feeling especially sea sick and the fact that I was a young Army guy in a Navy course led me to make the bad decision to dive anyway without telling anyone...

I did begin to feel better upon getting under the surface of the water but still felt the urge building, I removed the regulator, puked, and continued the dive feeling much better.

I would not recommend nor would I make the same decision again.

This happen to me after breakfast with acidic foods, orange juice, pico on the eggs, hot sauce of any type. First thing to remember is that the reaction after you "feed the fish" is to gasp air back in and while this may sound nasty it is better than a mouth full of sea water which will continue the cycle usually. So keep the reg in most of it will float out of the exaust ports and when you are ready take it out, small stream of bubbles, shake it out and continue on. After effect is lots of fined friends so get the camera ready :)

I haven't had to do it, but what do you all think about purging the reg a few inches below your open mouth? That way, the chunder can float away without funking up the reg, but the bubbles still float up so you have something other than seawater to inhale afterward?

A sipping technique interesting...

MSilvia:
I haven't had to do it, but what do you all think about purging the reg a few inches below your open mouth? That way, the chunder can float away without funking up the reg, but the bubbles still float up so you have something other than seawater to inhale afterward?

MSilvia:

This could, if not excecuted correctly lift the mask and blow the chunks up your nose.

I have noticed that most incidences of In Water Vomiting (IWV) occur immediately the diver enters the water (when the stress of donning the equipment pushes a queasy diver over the edge) or in the last few meters of an ascent (perhaps due to expanding burp gas, or a change in body aspect).

where is warhammer when we need him, I am sure he has photos..

Good idea, each diver will have to work through this one one there own to find what works best. I wait and when I am not green in the gills I take it out and move it far to the side and shake. Again small stream of bubbles when that reg comes out of the mouth and which ever way is best for one to clear. But every one will have there one way and while it may be good for me it may be good for them

My husband and I puked simultaneously at 40ft during one of our open water checkout dives. We did the class at a resort and had filled up on the free (well, prepaid I'm-gonna-get-my-money's-worth) breakfast- sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, OJ, the works. Now we have fruit, toast and yougurt mornings we dive :)

We just did the puke through reg, then rinse method (no warning time to think about options) and kept on following instructor. Fishies were happy times two that day!

rickg:
Please no not that picture again. Once yesterday was enough :) Although I must say he had to be pretty coordinated to do what he did.

Rickg

That really wasn't the one known as Warhammer. Just something he got tagged with. Those were the good old days

Ive done it a few times albeit all on the same dive.

On a hardboat (i hate hardboats) at the back with all the diesel fumes, felt ill before getting in. On the dive after about 30 mins was sick, decided to keep reg in and blow it through. worked OK. I purged the reg to clear out the gunk.

Then on the stop holding onto the line bouncing up and down was sick a further 3 times through the reg again.

I toyed with taking the reg out but decided as i normally suck involuntarily after being sick i didnt want a mouth full of sea water.

The most unpleasant thing was cleaning the reg out on the surface later, using the dive knife and copious quantities of water to wash out partially digested food.

It WONT damage the reg though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom