Vomiting during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I had to - it just kinda happened and went thru the reg without a hitch, continued the dive.

I've done it a few times. The first time was during my OW check out dive. I didn't take the reg out & it was no problem. I continued with the dive each time. Like Cowprintrabbit, it was the rich breakfast. Also rough seas, leading to severe seasickness, mixed with the boat fumes. I only have toast w/ jelly & drink only water before a dive. OJ will do me in everytime.

Bottom line: It's no big deal.

At the end of a dive I was breathing my tank down, floating on the surface and watching the wildlife below. I guess the wave motion got to me. I thought about lifting my head out of the water, but had heard that you could just blow through, so I tried it. After puking, and catching my breath, I took the reg out and sloshed it aggresively around in the water. Glad it was a rental...

I used to know a guy who regularly 'chummed' while diving. He always left the reg in his mouth, and never experienced any problems.

I've never actually chummed u/w but I came close on the Rhone: It was a tiny boat, rude crew, etc, and when I was upside down looking at a giant lobster I nearly did. Then I actually did puke on the surface before the second dive.

I usually try to avoid drinking water really fast out on the boat, just sip it. I find that foods don't bother me other than OJ and yogurt, so I usually have a bagel with cream cheese and jelly.

FFMDiver:
Can anyone relay their experience of puking into a regulator at depth? Did it make you quit the dive, was it a scary experience etc. Thanks
:voskl1:

Blew chow at depth a couple of times. Both on days where most of the passengers were doing the same over the side. The second time I was even passing chunks on ascent (damn right I had a shower as soon as I got back on the boat). Both times l just let it rip thru the reg then gave it a good purge and rinse. No problems and I felt better so I kept going with the dive.

As the DM said "The fish love it. It's the only warm meal they get all day." I'm so glad I can give something back to them. :eyebrow:

brendanrtw:
If you ever do vomit underwater, just sit back and watch the show. The feeding frenzy can be impressive!!

:yummy:

No matter what you eat, it comes back up as chum.

Back
Top Bottom