Vomiting during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge once bubbled...
I am an old pro at vomiting under water... I do it every time I dive. The first time I did it in the regulator (like my instructor said) and just purged it well afterwards... the other times I took the reg out cause it just seemed gross. I just made a concious effort not to breath back in and did fine. I think with the regulator in is probably safer.... but with it out is a lot less gross. SO you can either take the chance of dieing or be gross and have your reg serviced if need be.

Jessica

You are fortunate that each time you had complete control over "involuntary" reflexes. The modern regulator designs - include an exhaust diffuser assembly large enough and capable of handling vomit. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR REGULATOR IN YOUR MOUTH (except when taking pictures <lol>). Basic maneuver is bite down on the mouthpiece with teeth- then vomit away.

Ok, so this is sort of a gross topic; However, I seem to have become quite a pro at this. I tend to get sick more times than not, (Usually on the second dive of the day) I think it is the rocking of the SI that kills me. Anyway, I Keep my reg in. That being said, there is nothign said that you can not switch to your octo when you start feeling crumy. I can tell when it is coming and always switch to my octo so that my primary is nice and clean for the rest of the dive. I switch back when I am am finished being sick, ourge the Octo and it is as clean as new. Well sort of. :)

Mike

icebox once bubbled...
Ok, so this is sort of a gross topic; However, I seem to have become quite a pro at this. I tend to get sick more times than not, (Usually on the second dive of the day) I think it is the rocking of the SI that kills me. Anyway, I Keep my reg in. That being said, there is nothign said that you can not switch to your octo when you start feeling crumy. I can tell when it is coming and always switch to my octo so that my primary is nice and clean for the rest of the dive. I switch back when I am am finished being sick, ourge the Octo and it is as clean as new. Well sort of. :)

Mike

Yikes!

I dunno who your buddy is but he might be in for a surprise if he erver runs out of air while diving with you! =-) :bonk:

I suppose it's just MORE incentive to NOT have an OOA. Not a bad thing, all in all...

icebox once bubbled...

Mike

I don't advise using your backup for this. After vomiting stops, you can use the purge valve to completely clean your regulator, all the while it never leaves your mouth.

At least it's easy to wash your mouth out when your finished. Maybe those last few cocktails the night b4 were not really worth it afterall :pity:

On my first OW dive in Belize.
The fish loved me. :)

I'm adding a reply here despite finding the subject unpleasant...

I occasionally have a problem with acid reflux, which can lead to me throwing up under water. The first time it happened was about 5 years ago, and I'd never been briefed . . .

It's important to keep the regulator in your mouth. The exhaust vents can deal with it, and it's not uncommon for a person to gasp a little for air right afterwards, which is ok if the reg is in your mouth but otherwise could be a problem. After chumming the reg can be swished clean pretty easily.

Now I carry tums in my dive bag and if I'm feeling at all ..upset.. I eat a couple before the dive. No problems in recent history.

One thing I am concerned about is moving to a rebreather though. I'm thinking throwing up + rebreather = bad problem.

--Atticus

Hmmm.. I have dove a Dolphin Drager, If I had enough time I would close the mouth piece and upchuck through the Bailout reg. If not then, I would close the mouthpiece and switch to the bailout and end the dive.

I would imagine cleaning the rebreather after that would be a Total "EEEEWW, Like totally Gross Man! Ya Know.... Totally!" :eek:ut:

Just recently, as a matter of fact, twice.
Turns out I was developing a bad stomach virus.
Back on the boat my buddy says, "Did you see all those fish swimming around you?"
You know at the time I wasn't really paying attention.
Next time I'll just put a few pretzels in my BC pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom