Vomiting during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It happened to me at the end of a long (1 hour, 6 minutes), warm dive in Thailand little more than a month ago.

Suddenly the gummy end of my primary detached itself from the rest: in comes a big gulp of salty water...

Less than a couple of minutes later out it went...

I felt it coming and remembered what my instructor used to say: get the regulator out of your mouth, simulate a constant flow and get out what needs to.

So I did: the reg was clean and while I wasn't all that happy I now know how I should cope with the situation should it arise again.

The first time my wife ever dove, resort two dives, under 35 feet, she woofed and still finished the dive. (and, she certified later on). She said it wasn't a problem, just 'hit the button on the front of the reg to clear out chunks. It is better than throwing up in a toilet".

Although I like the idea of using my octo if you feel it coming.

I asked a DM friend of mine about the proper procedure. He said he has tried it both ways, (with the reg in and the reg out.) His opinion? If your an experienced diver it's sixes. If your new keep the reg in.

Originally posted by landlocked
I asked a DM friend of mine about the proper procedure. He said he has tried it both ways, (with the reg in and the reg out.) His opinion? If your an experienced diver it's sixes. If your new keep the reg in.

"Tried it both ways"? Is vomiting part of his safety drill? OOA procedure, buddy check, hurl. Let's go diving!

:jester:

On a vacation to the tropics, my buddy had been diving during the day, drinking a lot of alcohol at night, then diving again early in the morning. I think the vomit was inevitable. He was at 60' when he hit the bottom on his knees & hurled. He was very depleated after vomitting, & wanted to ascend. We did, but we were a bit far from the shore, & the mild surge still made him even more ill. The parade of fish followed as I towed him in. Even as we pulled ourselves up on the rocks, one hopeful jack watched & waited for more bounty. We were not even at our planned exit point , so we had to traipse thru a resident's back yard & walk down a busy road in our dive gear. You should have heard the curious tone of our boat-mates the next day!

Believe me you will attract a lot of fish! Today I went on a dive with my dad and a few minutes before we got off our boat to start our second dive he threw up over the side of the boat :( Not only did that attract a whole bunch of fish but when we got in the water there was three nurse sharks chasing the fish!! Boy, was that a sight!! :shark:

As a newbie diver, I would like to plan for this event. The "Dan America Dive & Travel Medical Guide" revised 1/99 p. 34 addressing motion sickness describes problems from emesis including,"loss of buoyancy control because of vomiting through a regulator underwater can lead to an air embolism; and if the diver removes the regulator to vomit, the reflex inhalation which preceds vomiting may cause drowning." Any input for this output problem??

I was taught and used on one occasion, the purge and puke method. Take your reg out of your mouth, purge it at the corner of your mouth, and blow your chunks....... you can still breathe in through the purge bubbles, and you don't fill your reg with fish food. I know people who have unloaded into thier reg too, and said it didn't hinder performance.......... just a bad taste.........

SS

Back
Top Bottom