Volunteering in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback they'd like to share about volunteer organizations operating in the Philippines? Although my stay was brief, something about the place and especially the people resonated with me and I very much am looking forward to returning. Soon! Sure, I could go back as a vacationer again, but I'd prefer something more *significant*. I've been doing some research through books and the web, and here are a few websites that caught my attention:

Global Volunteer Network
World Endeavours
WWF

Any info (including alternatives) will be much appreciated! :)

I'm not sure about any organizations you might contact but I'm sure there will be more comments soon.

I'm a Canadian who moved here and I basically came because of the people too. Warm hearted and always smiling it seems they make living here a pleasure. I tell people the best thing to bring to the Philippines is a smile because Filipinos will give you back far more than you give them if you just take a moment to smile and say hello. I love living here.

Of course the diving is pretty terrific as well.

That's awesome Anna. :)

Do you have any volunteer experience in Canada? Since I was Red Cross certified in Canada I went with the Red Cross here to teach first aid, swimming lessons, and lifeguarding. they sent me gallavanting around the country to do that. I also ended up in their disaster response team.

If you've done volunteer work, there might be the same or similar type of group here. What kind of volunteer stuff are you interested in?

Someone else suggested the Red Cross to me but when I had a look at their website (at least the Canadian one), they only seemed interested in local volunteers. Plus I'm not much of a swimmer. (I'm starting Adult Level 2 at the Y tomorrow though. :D)

I've looked at volunteer opportunities locally in the past but nothing really *moved* me so I've limited it to participating on my craft co-op's board of directors and volunteering at the Cinematheque. Since I work full-time and have a little jewellery business on the side there's not much time especially for an ongoing commitment which most organizations want. I do donate monthly to the David Suzuki Foundation and the WWF-Canada which is why I listed it above. (I know some charities have high overhead costs and don't really contribute much to the cause but I think the WWF isn't one of those.)

As to what I could overseas, based on the websites I've looked at there seems to be a need for people willing to work with children -- especially those on the street and in orphanages. Others are looking for people prepared to work outdoors and the WWF needs people doing clerical duties. Since I'm not a "skilled professional", i.e., doctor or teacher, I'm probably looking at the above which is fine. The point is to hopefully do something different than what I'd do in Vancouver and for a better reason. I'm due for a major life change and I see this as one of the first steps...

Thank your for considering the Philippines as your choice to do volunteer work, Anna.

Working with children would be a good choice. I've met (and went diving with) a lot of foreign volunteers here and most of them stayed for at least 6 months. The experience will surely give you a major life change. Especially when you see the different living conditions here. We do not have much, compared to Canada, but there is a lot of life lessons that you will learn from here. One thing you will surely enjoy here would be the warm smile of the people.

When you do land a volunteer job, remember to get in touch with any of us and we'd be glad to go diving with you.

Cheers!

Dennis, you perfectly describe my impression of the people of the Philippines after spending 5 weeks over there! They really touched my heart. And I think I mannaged to give a little of that back...

Anna, my hat off to you!:coffee: You seem to really have the volunteer spirit and I hope you find something there that really suits your likings and that will really benefit from your help!

Cheers!:coffee:

I'm not sure about any orginizations you might contact but I'm sure there will be more comments soon.

I'm a Canadian who moved here and I basically came because of the people too. Warm hearted and always smiling it seems they make living here a pleasure. I tell people the best thing to bring to the Philippines is a smile because Filipinos will give you back far more than you give them if you just take a moment to smile and say hello. I love living here.

Of course the diving is pretty terrific as well.

you might want to check this local organization that has help many communities here the Philippines tremendously..

Gawad Kalinga

If you want to consider helping out with this group let me know, I can help you get connected with them. :)

If you are interested in providing some spiritual guidance and volunteerism is your thing then many of the large church organizations sponsor volunteers to spread the word and help locals with issues. The Red Cross does a great job in the country! Good luck and it is wonderful to hear that people are enthusiastic about helping others...how cool is that?!?!

Back
Top Bottom