http://www.diveheart.org/

Volunteer to help your dive sites.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ayeshacantrell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Further to my recent rant about plastic bags and bottles - it was quite apt that yesterday I was involved in cleaning up one of the water ways on our island
The photos are below....

Master Divers | Facebook

It was mainly plastic trash that came out of the waterway - which would've ended up in ocean. It actually took us just over an hour for five of us to make an impact and it got me thinking that it actually doesnt have to take long.

If everyone volunteered just a couple of hours to the environmental groups in the locations they dive in on holiday then they would actually really help their favourite reefs.

This is Koh Taos land conservation and marine conservation.....

Land Conservation Koh Tao

Marine conservation Koh Tao

Koh Tao was one of the first dive sites I visited on a 3-month around-the-Pacific backpacking/dive trip back in 2001. I was quite surprised to see the number of "disposable" plastic water bottles used there and back then did not know of any entity that refilled them. I believe you said earlier that they now do reflll empty bottles on the island. Too bad reusable glass containers aren't being used though.

Kudos to your group for taking action.

Good job! Spread the word that we can make a difference and although slow change will happen. Check my signature line for an even larger problem.

Back
Top Bottom