Voit 50 worth owning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just scored a job at the local dive shop / boat store. They have been operation since 1956, and they have equipment that reflects it. I'll try to get some pictures of the shop once i get it cleaned up to my liking, that have quite a bit of old stock / vintage trade-ins / interesting local discoveries on the walls.

Long story short though, they have a surplus of tanks. Tanks upon tanks. I guess they did a tank trade-in program a while back, but never did scrap them. Going through them, most of them are the bad alloy Aluminum tanks. There are a few LP72s, some ancient 1/2" thread tanks... But the one that caught my interest the most, is they have a Voit 50 in superb condition.

Now, I'm currently running twin LP72s. My dislike though is the size and weight, although I do love the gas benefit and weight distribution of it. But, I'm going to be getting some proper tech SS 6.9 bands and isolating manifold for my LP72s so I can use them for "tech training". At the same time though, I'm going to have my Dacor backpack which is set up for twin 6.9 tanks, as well as a perfectly good functioning J-valve manifold... I kinda like having smaller doubles as opposed to one big single.

So I'm thinking, twin 50s? I can run it as a single in the mean time, maybe make it my summer rig for the many sub-40 ft dives out here. I'll have to negotiate something with the shop manager... I think he'd prefer to see gear get used rather than take up space next to the filler whips.

I'll have to get pictures of the compressor shack too. The low pressure cascade is impressive, someodd 20-30 tanks. Compressor is an IR Type 30 10T2 and has a 3-ph motor that actually exceeds the suggested rating for the compressor.

Are we talking Voit 50 Fathom double hose regulator or 50 cf tank?
I'm guessing tank because no one in their right mind would even ask that question about a regulator.
Apart from the valve handling practice there's not much point of double 50's for modern tech training.
Best use them as intended with a vintage single center outlet manifold with a double hose reg.

Either is worth having. Both are very desirable. I think Mike had a pair on Sea Hunt.

Yes, grab the tank. If it is clean or can be tumbled clean then you have something nice. A 50 cf steel tank is perfect for shallow breach dives or quick look sees.

N

Mike Nelson would be proud1
Get it I own 2 sets of Voit doubles and 2 single Voit 42's.
J

Are we talking Voit 50 Fathom double hose regulator or 50 cf tank?
I'm guessing tank because no one in their right mind would even ask that question about a regulator.
Apart from the valve handling practice there's not much point of double 50's for modern tech training.
Best use them as intended with a vintage single center outlet manifold with a double hose reg.

I would be swapping the LP72s to the modern setup, since it provides an excess amount of gas for my casual diving pursuits with friends. They're terribly encumbering to carry longer distances as well.

I would be using the twin LP50s for recreational dives, since they provide a better swing than an AL80...they're a wonderful size too!

Oh, it would also be an excuse to drag my sister out diving, since she logically couldn't complain about the tank weight anymore with a single LP50. :D

I'll talk to him about it on payday.

I had a set of the Voit twin 50's rated at 2250 psi. As twins they are about 4 pounds more negative than twin 72's. Didn't care for them at all.

Hog you should give me your 50's. An old guy like you can't handle them anymore. You can't swim with a cane underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom