Visiting San Fransisco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noob@40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All
I will be visiting San Fransisco during the last week of July and am interested in doing a couple of dives on Wednesday or Thursday. Is there a shop that has dives through the week? Also, I would most likely not be bringing my gear if I can get good quality rentals so any info on that would be helpful. I am not familiar with the area at all so I would appriciate any info you can give me.
Thanks

Monterey is your ticket. There's no diving to speak in and around San Francisco, due to horrible vis and patrolling great white sharks (known locally as "the Landlord").

You can either boat dive or shore dive. Both can be excellent.

For boat diving, check out: California Dive Boats : The Official Page

For shore diving, your best bet would be Pt. Lobos State Park, but there are other great places as well. You want to avoid Monastery Beach (aka "Mortuary Beach").

Not sure what diving you're used to, but Calif. boats don't have in-water DMs. They stay dry, unless there's a diver emergency. If you don't have an experienced local buddy, I highly recommend that you hire a private DM, either for boat or shore diving. We have cold water, low vis and large patches of giant kelp.

We also have excellent diving, with great stuff to see.

There are three shops in Monterey that can deal with rentals, fills, DMing, etc. Glenn's Aquarius II at the Breakwater, Bruce's Aquarius on Del Monte and the Bamboo Reef on Lighthouse. All can be found easily on Google.

Thanks for the info fisheater.
I dive in Nova Scotia so I am used to low viz in cold water.
I have no divers traveling with me so I will have to look into finding a guide.
I have never seen a shark of any kind while diving and although I would like to I suppose a great white shouldn't be my first.
I will look into Monterey and the shops you mentioned.

Defenitely Monterey but its not all that close to sf is At least 2 hours drive but possible. as for shore divers if you are OK with surf entry monastery is my favorite site for a shore dive lobos is great too. Off of a boat id recommend the escapade cpt. Jim is great but thats just my opinion.

Thanks for the info fisheater.
I have never seen a shark of any kind while diving and although I would like to I suppose a great white shouldn't be my first.

Like you, I have never seen a GW in the ocean and frankly doubt I ever will. In fact, I always used to tell people that not only had I never seen one in over 1000 dives in Monterey, but I didn't know any other diver who had either. But then I got to chatting with Marco Flagg one day, and he showed me his scars. He has one row of scars on the top of his shoulder where the upper jaw came down on him, and another row at mid-thigh where the lower jaw came up. You can read Marco's account at Great White Shark Attack!. The guy has a real sense of humor about the incident, but then Marco has a great sense of humor about everything in life. He's one of my heros in the world of diving.

Bruce

Hey now, before you scare folks away from diving because Marco got nipped, you might want to mention he had a host of electronic sonar type equipment strapped to his chest with a scooter running in his hand. Most divers I know are not sending that much electrical pulses out into the water.

Hey now, before you scare folks away from diving because Marco got nipped, you might want to mention he had a host of electronic sonar type equipment strapped to his chest with a scooter running in his hand. Most divers I know are not sending that much electrical pulses out into the water.

Dude chill out.... It was an accident... didn't you read the rebuttal?

The Shark's Rebuttal
A Reply and Another Perspective of the Shark Attack on Marco Flagg
Filed by Bruce G.W.S.

Abstract
I have been given a copy of the account of Marco Flagg and the shark attack on 6/30/95, which was posted in the rec.scuba newsgroup on 7/7/95. I wanted to share some thoughts with those of you who read Mr. Flagg's thorough account.

Basic Facts
Exactly as Mr. Flagg described them. About myself: I'm a 17-year-old Great White Shark. In fact, I'm the shark that mistakenly bit Mr. Flagg. (In Great White Shark society, we don't like to use the word "attacked" when it was a mistake.) I was born in 1978 off of the Farallon Islands and spend most of my time in that area with an occasional foray down to the Monterey area. One summer I got as far south as Anacapa Island off of Oxnard, but that was only because there was a rumor of some yellowtail tuna and some blue whales in the area. Too much work. The tuna are fast and the whales are huge so I came back north. But I digress.

Chronological Incident Report
I was cruising around the Pt. Lobos area. I hadn't eaten in two days and was hoping to find some sea lion pups venturing into the water. I was patrolling the area at about 50' when I detected some motion to my left. I really didn't get a good glimpse, but it was a fast-moving dark object and I thought I'd hit the pinniped jackpot. Using my lateral line to sense the movement of my intended, I circled back around. As I approached (from below and behind - just like I was taught by my parents), it seemed to me the sea lion was heading for the surface, perhaps to take a breath of air. I gave a good twitch of my tail and opened my mouth. It was only as I closed down that I realized something was terribly wrong. I tasted metal, and I know that sea lions aren't made of metal. On top of that, I detected an electrical current in the water (which throws off my senses somewhat). I thought, "Oh, ****," and within maybe two seconds I opened my jaws, let go, and swam off.

Comments
Do you realize how embarrassing this is for me? Here I am, an apex predator, top of the food chain, and I can't distinguish the difference between a sea lion and a scuba diver. I can't even begin to tell you all the taunting I've taken from the other sharks in the area. But even worse are the psychological repercussions. Mr. Flagg, I am so sorry for the problems I caused and all I can tell you is that I'm delighted that you were not seriously injured. For a few days after the mistake (not attack) I lost my appetite. I mean, I'm an eating machine -it's what I do. And mistakes happen but we Great Whites pride ourselves on the fact that these mistaken identity problems occur infrequently. We really don't want to eat any of you. We're just doing what nature compels us to do.

Final Thoughts
Again my profound apologies. And I'm terribly sorry that your friend lost both his scooter and his video camera, but another shark I know said they were delicious. All I can tell you is that we in the shark community are working very hard to avoid these problems and we'll do our best to make sure this doesn't happen again. Finally, in parting, if any of you reading this know of a nice, plump, juicy sea lion - would you please send him my way?

This *Incident Report* was playfully provided by Ken Kurtis at Reef Seekers Dive Co. in Beverly Hills, who wishes everyone safe diving (and watch out for those GWSes!).

(More on the Marco Flagg story at his My Space page)

I've done that - the Monterey dive shops can set you up with a guide if you give them some advance notice. it's great diving, and worth the trip. See this page for some general info.

Monterey is probably the most popular dive location and destination for the Bay Area. There are quite a few dive locations within the Monterey area all about 30-40 min drive from each other, San Carlos Beach (Breakwater), Lover's, Pt Lobos, Carmel River etc.... and all can be found online somewhere for more info. As mentioned above there are three dive shops in the area and they can set you up with rental gear for the day. In my opinon the easiest location would be Breakwater for a one day 2-3 dives, there is a LDS right there for air fills and rental, plently of parking and easy beach entry. Since it is such a popular spot there are always divers and dive classes around any day of the week, all skill levels from 1st time in the water to the techiest guy you know. You might be able to hook up with an instabuddy and pass on the DM? I've seen people dive solo there too but I have not. If you want to do the DM route, perhaps PT Lobos (Whaler's Cove) might be better since your paying for the local knowledge and go to a more interesting location. Reservations are strongly suggested before hand and can be made either by phone or online, they only allow so many divers a day. Whaler's requires a dive buddy when making the reservation so no solo diving or instabuddy they will want to see your cert card(s) and there is a fee. Pt Lobos is the only location that requires a reservation or has a fee cause it's a State Park. I'm sure one of the LDS can help with info and maybe set it up??? Above you mentioned sharks, Whaler's Cove is known to have Leopard Sharks come in for mating, I don't know the season, you'd have to look it up. I haven't done any of the dive boats so I can't say either way. Other than Breakwater none of the other dive locations have a LDS close (meaning walking distance) for air re-fills so if your planning on more than one dive, thats as many tanks you'll need to bring. One drawback to Monterey is the distance if your doing one day about a two hour drive depending on what time you leave but also a two hour drive back when your tired after a day of diving. There are lots of Motels in the area and some have diver rates, you have to ask. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom