visiting San Diego/La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I'm visiting San Diego area (staying in La Jolla) Oct, 18 - Nov, 1. Looking for dive buddies for local shore dives and hopefully some Channel island diving. Or alternatively if you could recommend a dive shop that would be highly appreciated. I'm GUE-F with about 250 dives but did almost all my dives in a wetsuit, I have a drysuite but fairly new to it so beginning with easier dives would probably be a good idea.

I do dive with non-DIR divers if they are safe and sane but having a DIR-minded diver as a teammate makes diving a little bit more comfortable :)

I'm off the 24-26 and I'm game. I'm not DIR but dive a HOG set up with long hose, necklace, etc and have more of a DIR mentality in terms of buddy awareness. I don't do much shore diving, though. I think you can find a wreck alley trip on monday or tues that won't be crowded. Weekends are usually pretty packed. Will you have transportation?

"DIR buddy awareness" is the important part for me :) I'll be happy to dive with you, I'm not much into wrecks though, I've never seen kelp forests so that's my primary goal :) As to transportation, yes, I'm definitely gonna rent a car

Shiva - Have you tried posting in the SoCal DIR Forum? A very active and friendly group of DIR divers.

SoCal DIR - ScubaBoard

Well in that case, make it up to Long Beach or San Pedro for a boat dive (Sundiver & Magician preferred). I think I can find one on one of my days off. We'll cruise out to Catalina and you'll definitely be in kelp, possibly some great structure. Draw back is the drive won't be short. Are you visiting for business or just vacation with a wide open schedule?

I do a 6pm dive Every Tuesday at the Shores if you would like to join us. Visit my website to see info on this dive any any others you might be interested in: Ocean Explorers

on_two_wheels It's a holiday and my schedule is wide open with a few exceptions. I'm travelling with my family and my daughter is looking forward to visiting Disneyland, LegoLand, the Zoo etc. :) but I'll be there for two weeks and on most days I can take time to dive :) going to Catalina sounds like a plan :)

Michael Kazma Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind for one of two Tuesdays that I'll spend there

ScubaSam Thank you very much for the link! That's the way to go, I didn't know of that group before. I'm posting there right now

shiva, I saw your post in the SoCal DIR section and replied there.

Plenty of very good DIR divers in San Diego, but also lots of highly skilled, fun, and safe non-DIR divers as well.

You should have a great time!

on_two_wheels It's a holiday and my schedule is wide open with a few exceptions. I'm travelling with my family and my daughter is looking forward to visiting Disneyland, LegoLand, the Zoo etc. :) but I'll be there for two weeks and on most days I can take time to dive :) going to Catalina sounds like a plan :)

Michael Kazma Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind for one of two Tuesdays that I'll spend there

ScubaSam Thank you very much for the link! That's the way to go, I didn't know of that group before. I'm posting there right now

Shoot me an email and we can exchange some info. I live in SD and wouldn't mind buddying up for some kelp dives. My only permanent local dive buddy and I work opposite schedules at work so we rarely have a chance to get wet. I am not DIR though, but I am a cautious diver and I have some experience diving locally.

brian dot g dot chambers at gmail dot com

I have a super wide open schedule (I work nights), but even if we don't have a chance to meet up, I wouldn't mind helping you out with any questions you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom