Visiting San Diego, Giant Sea Bass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giant Sea Bass, or Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Polka Dot Fishy has been protected in California since 1982. There are still reports of them being caught or speared occasionally.

There are a few sites around Palos Verdes, the Star of Scotland, and especially Hermosa Beach Artificial Reef where they can be seen year round.

33723806396_1d50fe00d7_b.jpg

32963824650_939e19b713_b.jpg

40309073093_bfee98cacc_b.jpg

33741243906_4ef5a810f5_b.jpg

33343151540_b5a9a20480_o.jpg

Sam Miller... they were once thought to be in the sea bass family (Serranidae) but are now placed in the wreckfish family (Polyprionidae). Yes, they can be seen around wrecks but more frequently hiding in the kelp.

Bill Bushing
Why all the name changes ?
In my short life time I can recall the rock scallop change and numerous local collectable small shells that had a name changes ?

In 25 000 words or less tell us why the chage

SDM

DNA sequencing is being conducted on thousands of marine plants and animals now to get a more specific detail of their familial grouping.As more evidence becomes available, some names are changing.

Bill Bushing
Why all the name changes ?
In my short life time I can recall the rock scallop change and numerous local collectable small shells that had a name changes ?

In 25 000 words or less tell us why the chage

SDM

There have been so many name changes since I started diving. They result when taxonomists realize that a species was placed in the wrong genus or species. Often this is due to advances in taxonomy such as molecular genetics. Science advances and scientists adopt changes if they are based on reliable interpretations.

cientifically it is a Stereolepis gigas

There have been two common names
F&G bulletin #68 , 1948 by Phil Rodel page 51 "Black Sea Bass"

F&G bulletin #157, by Miller & Lea page 149 "Giant Sea Bass"

Earlier in 1958 in F&G "Off shore fishes of California" by
John Fitch page 53 "Giant Sea Bass"
John Fitch was and still is considered the expert on the "Sea Bass" Therefore use "Giant Sea Bass"

However, there are those whom you will possibly encounter who's diving predates 1948 and they only knew them as "Black Sea Bass"
So it all depends who you speak to and their age and experience

Now a new scientific name ... what they really see are pretty large polka-dotted wreckfish
(Stereolepis gigas)

It is recognized they do grow large; they do have spots but I have yet to experience them on a wreck.

Generally they annually migrate into the shallows duriing breeding the spring and summer into specific number of places in Catalina , one was and still is Goat Harbor. Currently The Dive Park has become a gathering place is a sure thing to see them apparently year round.

They were are still are occasional spotted in the many mainland coves from Crange county to the Mexican border during breeding.

On Memorial day 1960 the late great SoCal diver, underwater artist - see his painting "Night dive" cover on SDM- and member of a very active dive club, "The Snorkels" speared the world record fish, by breath hold diving, off then Scotsman's cove now called Reef Point , I would tell you the weight but my friend from the hinterland @Jayfarmlaw has set the size of the fish at 500. no 600. no 1000 now 1500 pounds. So expert professional marine biologist @drbill tell us about the fish ??

Sad note -- I recently was notified that Bob Stansbury who held the Black Sea Bass Spearfishing record passed away in Arizona .
The passing parade -- soon it will be I think, I suppose, I believe, or I was told..

SDM.

Sam,

As perhaps you might have gleaned from our previous exchanges I enjoy collecting dive history (I was fortunate enough the Air Force paid for my history degree prior to commissioning). When you reference F&G, what is that referencing? Thanks as always for your time and contributions!

@azsiinger11

Another Jr Birdman !

F & G -- Fish and Game aka California Fish and Game (commission ?)

The California F& G periodically issues bulletins, guides and books which are made available to the public at a very nominal fee.

You can correspond or visit the F @G Hq in long Beach for a current copy of their publications.

They are a very valuable asset to all divers library

Good luck

Sam

FYI- I was a history major for one quarter--Did not appreciate the many required research papers-- at that time I had an allergy to writing...After Korea and USAF I began writing and publishing in 1961 - I had 4 dedicated magazine columns and the very first news paper column devoted to recreational diving -- so many on dive history which I now discovered I was both an observer and a participant
SAM

For decades it was known as DFG, Department of Fish and Game. A couple of years ago they decided to change it to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, DFW. I hate it. It sounds too much like an airport near Dallas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom