Visiting Phuket for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might just stay at the Mercure this time since you've already got the booking. It's not like you're locking yourself into a whole month's stay at a place you may decide you don't like. If you stay in Patong for this trip you can get a feel for the place, see whether it appeals to you or if you like a different part of the island more, and next time you'll be in a better position to choose.

One thing you might consider, if you want to save some money on lodging, is keeping an eye on Ensogo for deals. Right now I don't see any deals for Phuket hotels, but sometimes there are some very posh places on offer for a fraction of the regular booking rate.

Roger that. THANKS for the tip M..:)

There's some fine print on that offer (my emphasis) :

•This promotion is only valid for Thai customers (If foreigners are staying with Thai customers then they are allowed to use this package)
•This promotion is valid for One Bed Room Pool Villa for 2 days 1 night
•The Pool villa accommodates 2 guests
•Children under 11 stay at no charge under adult supervision (1 child per pool villa)
•Breakfast A la carte is include in this promotion
•Customers can choose where they would like like there pool villa but is upon hotel and villa availability
•Reserve rooms 5 days in advance and please email us at Sales.dealicious@gmail.com
•Please call the hotel 7 days in advance if you want to cancel
•Can use multiple vouchers for continuous stay
•Please present printed out voucher and not SMS to reception before stay all the time
•Price is Net
•Additional cash value cannot be redeemed
•Cannot be used with other promotions or discounts

Is the OP Thai?

Another vote for Kata beach and the 3 dives trip Anemone reef/Shark point/Koh Doc Mai. The best of Phuket in one day.
It's been a while (last visit in 2006) but for creature comfort (I am traveling with non diving wife and daughter), we used to stay at the Kata Beach Resort right on the best stretch of the beach, excellent breakfast, just what I needed before diving... I wouldn't mind Mom Tri's Boat house, next door, either.

what about Karon? the beach? the neibourhood?
Karon Beach is one of Phuket's longest. It's quite lovely, with low dunes between the beach itself and a small stream that runs behind the beach for much of its extent. It can be quite dangerous to swim there in low season, because the wind blowing along its gentle curve creates waves and rip currents, but during high season it's quite nice since the substantial length of the beach lets people spread out quite a lot. As for ambiance, it has a lot more big chain hotels than other beaches (except for Bang Tao), there are fewer "nightlife" venues than Patong. It tends to appeal to couples and families, though there are tons of guesthouses and backpacker accommodations as well.

My own personal preference in my 20+ trips in the past year alone :wink:

- shuttle bus from Airport to Patong -- 150 baht
- rent bike 200b/day
- ride like hell to Rawaii approx 30 mins
- check into Maalai Resort max 2500b/day peak season, 1200b/day off peak. ALWAYS negotiate in Thailand! 3 pools, clean beds and baths, house-keeping 2/day, TV channels galore, avoid the breakfast
- breakfast 150 m European Cafe next to Freedom bar
- 15 min ride to Evason and check in with Poseidon Diving
- own spacious boat 8 divers max, lunch on boat, 2-3 dives/day weather permitting to Shark Pt, Anemone Rf, Koh Doc Mai and back by 4 p.m having slept fitfully on top deck of diveboat on return. Klaus sometimes makes overnight trips to Koh Phi-Phi too! They will pick you up from hotel.
- post-dive evening try Reggae Bar/Yooniques they have a Rocking Band-- Chilli Joint on Friday eves in Naiharn/Promthep Cape else head to Phuket Town for local bars, I avoid the tourist places mentioned here like the plague.

In fact heading out in an hour! And all my secrets are out...

Well, I'm another one looking for advice on where to stay and where to dive. I'm planning on being in Phuket from 30 June - 20 July. I'm traveling alone and have minimalist standards on lodging. I'd like to know where is the best diving at this time of year, and does anybody run liveaboards during this season? If I have to run day trips, what are my options as far as reputable companies?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Yes there are a few liveaboards at this time of year, but not to the Similans. The liveaboards in the summer will be visiting the southern dive sites of Thailand's Andaman Sea. If you are looking at daytrips, there are a number of good operators. My suggestion, rather than sticking with just one op, would be to choose the days you want to dive and then choose from among the ops going to the dive sites you are most interested in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom