Visiting Boston May 22-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be visiting Boston during the weekend of May 22-23, looking to do some diving. Got to go to a cardiology conference May 24-26, flying home May 27.

I made a few phone calls to dive shops, they say it's mostly shore diving. That would be fine with me. Any recommendations on dive shops who can show me around? I usually solo with steel doubles, so maybe all I need are some cylinders and a dive location map?

Or should I get on a boat charter?

What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Cape Ann is always a good choice. The water is cold but very clear at least by north Atlantic standards. I prefer to dive dry this time of year. There are good shore dives like Folly Cove and Cathedral Rocks There are 1/2 dozen shops at least in the Boston area. Of course boat charters are great if you have the $$.
Night diving at Folly Cove is good diving. Cathedral Rocks is a wonderful spot but it does require a walk down hill on some big rocks to get to the water. Folly Cove is pretty much a walk in.

Yes! I'd love to do some night diving. I'll have to bring my light. Is Folly Cove at Cape Ann, too?

SteveAD, that sounds great, I'll be arriving in Boston late Friday evening. Maybe I can do some diving Saturday afternoon and a night dive Saturday night. I appreciate the offer to lend me some cylinders. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

I dive in a TLS-350 with 400gm Thinsulate and insulated dry gloves.

Is it worth bringing my underwater camera?

Hello Steve,

I am getting excited about diving at Cape Ann, never been diving in New England before.

What dive shop at you at?

Will there be any way to get my tanks filled Sunday morning? If not, then I am going to need tanks for Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday.

I usually dive solo in doubles. Not sure if you've got 3 sets of doubles available for rent. If not, got any stage bottles I can rent for a second air source? If not I've got a 14 cubic foot pony bottle that I can bring down as a second air source for soloing.

I'll be sure to bring my camera, too.

Thanks again.

How are you doing Doc Harry,

I have a quick question for you. How many dives do you have underneath your belt before you started diving solo?

How are you doing Doc Harry,

I have a quick question for you. How many dives do you have underneath your belt before you started diving solo?

I started soloing after about 50 dives. Initially I was soloing off the pier at Scuba Club in Cozumel (~ 20-25 feet) day and night. Then I started soloing in my local lakes are reservoirs (~20-35 feet). I've soloed offshore in Florida and at home as deep at 105 feet. At home it's completely dark below ~60 feet because the visibility is about 2 feet. Now I have more than 100 solo dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom